Wierd Turtle Help

Tristan's 6000 Fish

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Vidalia, Georgia/ Brooklet, Georgia
My 6 mo. old Yellow belly has been acting weird for 2 weeks . When he is in his tank he swims chaotically at the corner of the tank. When I take him out he walks around the house with my new Savannah kitty. As far as I know YBS are aquatic turtles, not terrestrial. I do allow him to walk the house, but now he thinks hes a cat. Its kind of aggravating, because when Im trying to sleep all I hear is him climbing on his basking rocks and jumping into water, and splashing at the aquariums corner.

I keep his water pristene and he has plenty of room in his 125g. so theres no reason to be out. When he gets larger he will go into the pond but hes still only 4-5 inches.

Is it okay for him to walk around with his kitty freind? How long should I allow him to be out of his tank per day? I dont want him to dry out.
This behavioer is comlpletely different from my other ybs... hes only 4mo. old tho

Reactions: AR1

Tristan's 6000 Fish

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Vidalia, Georgia/ Brooklet, Georgia
Srry for spelling. Im currently driving

Reactions: AR1

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
...Seems rather dangerous to allow a mostly-aquatic species of turtle to roam around unsupervised with a cat, on top of being unnecessary. Transmission of disease, injuries, desiccation, etc. are all valid concerns. As you've said, there's not really a reason for the turtle to be out.

If the turtle's showing signs of stress, something's likely wrong, but pacing and whatnot doesn't seem particularly unusual for a turtle in confined quarters.
Hearing frequent 'splashing' at night is likely just a general downside to owning an aquatic turtle and having the fishtank close to your bed.
In my opinion, aquatic sliders and suchlike (most turtles in general, really) are best raised in ponds or large tubs (even when little) rather than in a fish tank, which, being more suitable towards the display of fish, minimize total surface area in favour of vertical room that would be better used by fish.

On a side note, it might in your best interest to refrain from typing while driving- accidents happen, and I'm sure you don't want your last words to be a question about turtles on a fishkeeping forum :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store