Will bichirs eat one another?

ESOX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
ARIZONA
Can any one tell me if a larger bichir will eat a smaller one?
Currently I have 2 endlis (8" and 10") and 2 senegals (5" and 7"). Both endlis are a good 2-3" longer than the young senegals and I suppose could've already eaten them if they wanted to. However, I have an opportunity to pick up a 12" Delhezi-which is 7" longer than my smallest senegal. I'm hesitant because I don't want the little one to get eaten. Is this a concern or do bichirs not eat eachother?

I do have other tanks I could house it in but it would be cool to have it in my big tank.

jloos1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
canton, MI
i have no other records, but i put a 3" senegal bichir in with a 10-11" ornate bichir (thats eaten many things much larger than 3") and the senegal never even got a scratch (the senegal is now 6"). so in my case...no they dont :)

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
If the Endli would be the biggest, I wouldn't mix. Lower jaw species have huge mouths and can eat things that would amaze you. The del is an upper, and a relatively peaceful species, so you could try it. Just be prepared to separate immediately, and make sure the smaller fish have places to hide. If you worry at all, remember that those two senegals will grow very quickly. It might be easier to take the babies out, and put them back in once they put on some length.

Jessie*
KOTR

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I try and keep my ropes with tankmates the same size. Don't want any unnecessary losses.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
When it comes to lower jaw species - if you can IMAGINE that it MIGHT fit in thier mouth...it WILL. :) As mentioned sens grow very quickly I'd keep the seperate it should only take a couple months for it to catch up.

JoelR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Jacksonville FL
I see sooooo many pics with wide range size poly's in the same tank. I tried it one time and lost a little Sen. It was about 3" and a 6" Del got a fat belly. :irked:

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Yeah. One of my ornates ate a senegal. They were together for months before it happened, but that goes to show it's possible. I wouldn't mix them unless you're just not worried about it getting eaten.

Kohaku

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Fish World
Yes, bichirs will eat other bichirs, but only if 1 is bigger than the other. I had lost a few small endi to my big Lapradie.

ESOX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
ARIZONA
Kohaku;1207848; said:
Yes, bichirs will eat other bichirs, but only if 1 is bigger than the other. I had lost a few small endi to my big Lapradie.
That would really suck!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store