Can I use this as a stand??? The price is right.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That nice strong 2-ton rated stand is perfect now. Just build a decorative "shell" around it to which you can attach doors; decorate/finish any way you like. Personally, I'd be tempted to apply a nice painted finish to the metal, and then just use magnetic fasteners to affix panels that cover the whole thing. They'd be instantly removable for complete unhindered access to the entire storage area, much better than hinged or sliding doors which would always manage to be in the way.

If you try to "reinforce" it with some kind of wooden framework, you will need to attach the new wood structure to the metal, which will involve drilling a bunch of holes into the tubing and installing a bunch of heavy-duty fasteners. I think an argument could be made that you would weaken the metal stand's inherent strength and stability more than the wood would add to it. So...I'd avoid the whole idea...for my peace of mind.

DIY construction is much like the practice of medicine. The first rule is Do No Harm! :)

Reactions: M3AN ONE

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
You know, I just looked at that pic again, and noticed how the top surface of that stand extends a couple inches past the legs on all four sides. You could actually construct a structural framework out of 2x4's and 2x6's cut carefully to be a snug fit between the floor and that top overhand. As long as the cuts are precise and the lengths are perfect, those four columns in the corners could indeed help the top bear the load, and could be connected to each other with horizontal members without actually being physically attached to the metal stand. This would of course need to be assembled in place, but that would make it very easy to build.

This might very well be justified if the load-carrying capacity of the stand requires that the weight be evenly spaced over the two levels; you'd need to read the specs to determine this. If that 4000 pound capacity is split evenly between the top and bottom shelves (not saying that it is, but provisos like that are not uncommon) then the aquarium on top might potentially exceed the rated capacity of just that top level...which would make a support structure a good idea.

Might be worth checking into this. :)

Reactions: M3AN ONE
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store