getting in the mood to raise some fry...

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
I have a texas + urophthalmus pair, and a jack dempsey pair.

The JD pair won't breed; the female has never laid eggs, despite the fact that they've gone through the breeding ritual (jawlocking, aggressive swimming, etc) several times. I personally think the female is unable to lay eggs (if she even has any) due to genetic problems. This has been quite a frustrating experience for the male, and consequently this pair has undergone much intermarital strife... its a good thing they're in a 200g, or one would have likely killed the other by now. The female is 6", I've kept her for 26 months, since she was 2". The male is about 6.5", got him at 2.5" about 20 months ago.

The texas x uro pair will almost certainly breed though, if i keep upping their diet. They haven't been getting fed very often (once every 3 days or so) till the past 2 weeks. I figure if I feed them twice a day the female will pop out some eggs once more. They've had 2-3 successful spawns in days long past, but I was either disinclined to keep the fry alive, or they cannibalized one another to utter extinction and then I'd lose the remaining specimen via jumping.

This time around, the texas (9-10") and uro (7") will be in a 55g with 2 4" scolofi mbuna. The scolofi mbuna will serve as dithers, to keep the parents' aggression focused on the scolofi rather than (potentially) on each other. I think they will do a fine job of raising the fry, and I doubt the scolofi will even have enough free time to beat on each other (they do this alot), let alone be concerned with eating fry. The female uro loves terrorizing them as it is.

I'll keep this thread posted on the status of this project.

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
live feeding (worms and crickets) should do the trick , keep crayfiash (small UNDER 1INCH) every day , this will give them something to hunt and constantly eat

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
i cant keep fish food in the freezer due to parents, so no worms. Crickets are a ****ing hassle, you have to sit there and wait for the fish to eat them all every time, or you risk letting them crawl out and escape.

if i had a source of cheap crayfish, i would totlaly stock up on those. As it stands, I don't though...

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
nick i told you
whats good with them crayfish

buy some cheap schooling fish
i have neon 50+ in my gator tank
and i got 10 gaint dainos for my sh tank

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
neons and giant danios sell for 99 cents each around here. pretty expensive. better to just stick with 10cent guppies.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
umm
i got mine for 25 each
the danios were a buck each

my gators and turtles can catch them neons tho

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
need worms to condition those mamas for breeding. Feeders should be good though. Live foods is the way to go for conditioning.

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
i have a couple hundred small nightcrawlers and trout worms along with a nice supply of crayfish , tell me what size and il hollaer at ya (30 cents each) they will probably be the best seller in my nicks natives

i give discoutns (buy 20 get 5 free buy 100 get 30 free) shipping = 6.00 flat fee for p to 130 crayfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store