How do i setup my pond

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
First of all, should i add gravel or not? if so, which colour would be best at bringing out the colour of the fish
Should i buy some large to medium sized rocks? and if so where should i place them and make a cave(s)
Should driftwood be added or not
Should i add artificial floating or submerged plants or not
i hope this will help in creating a more natural setup for the fish and make them more comfortable.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you add gravel, depending on what type and color fish you have, it may be difficult to see them.
Natural color fish (such as many cichlids) have camouflage that tends to make them disappear over gravel, and other natural substrate
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...666f.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=boundsThose
spangles on fish like JDs, and Geos actually help them blend in with scattering of natural sunlight from above.
This is why pond keepers a thousand years ago (before tanks were doable) developed Koi and goldfish

Reactions: Joshuakahan and AR1

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
If you add gravel, depending on what type and color fish you have, it may be difficult to see them.
Natural color fish (such as many cichlids) have camouflage that tends to make them disappear over gravel, and other natural substrate
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...666f.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=boundsThose
spangles on fish like JDs, and Geos actually help them blend in with scattering of natural sunlight from above.
This is why pond keepers a thousand years ago (before tanks were doable) developed Koi and goldfish
my pond inclides a pacu, a snakehead and a midas/Rd cichlid. All of them have become extremely white and light coloured in my pond, so i thought adding some gravel, especially black coloured might help them darken up a bit.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Do you ever walk in your pond for maintenance or anything else? If so, I wouldn't add any gravel as it will increase the possibility of puncturing that pond.

Reactions: Joshuakahan and AR1

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Do you ever walk in your pond for maintenance or anything else? If so, I wouldn't add any gravel as it will increase the possibility of puncturing that pond.
No i don't. i scrub the walls from the outside only because my pacu tends to bite my toes. he ain't scared of anything. Any other work is easily done from the outside.
PS i don't plan on putting sharp edged gravel, only the rounded one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store