Murray Cod Salinity???? Ich preventative

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
I’m just trying to figure out what salt to use that is readily available for my cod. The Murray River is naturally salty, so I am wondering if anyone can chime in on dosage and what salt to use, and how often. Any info helps! Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Thank you mate. I’ve been looking at pool salt like a couple articles like the latter say to use. But I’ve read that they have to be free of additives and iodine. Can anyone add? Is pool salt safe? I’ve read that the formula is 1/2 gram / liter

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've read for the past 50+ years how the salt used in your tank needs to be "special"...sea salt, kosher salt, pickling salt, non-iodized salt, salt distilled from the sweat of yaks, blah, blah, blah...but the simple fact is that I have been using plain ordinary table salt in my tanks for curing ich and as a general "tonic" all along without any issues whatsoever.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Thank you mate. I’ve been looking at pool salt like a couple articles like the latter say to use. But I’ve read that they have to be free of additives and iodine. Can anyone add? Is pool salt safe? I’ve read that the formula is 1/2 gram / liter
I use pool salt from bunnings. I don't really measure how much salt I add, but it's around 1/2 tablespoons per tank.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Also the reason why cod get ich a lot is because of stress. If you think about, they are a highly territorial fish that have their own billabong or section of a river. They are so defensive that they'll chase things out of the water along the bank. So you've got this highly territorial fish that constantly has people or other fish passing by it and it can't do anything about it, so it gets stressed. This happens quite often in public aquariums. It gets pretty bad the bigger the fish gets aswell. High temps also add to the stress.

Had issues with stress back when I had my trout cod, dim lighting, cover and having the two cod in tanks side by side so they couldn't see each other.

Prevention > Treatment

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
I use pool salt from bunnings. I don't really measure how much salt I add, but it's around 1/2 tablespoons per tank.
Thanks mate for this, here in the states we don't have bunnings. I have also heard about table salt. Have you heard about Morton Pool salt, would it be safe? Is it 1/2 teaspoon a tank or a gallon? Ive tried to make sure my guy has a lot of structure to hide behind. I added a triple sided PVC pipe the other , which he has been residing in for the last couple days. Friller2009 Friller2009 is it hard to move Cod to larger tanks???
Thank you and sorry for the sudden bombardment of questions.

Reactions: Friller2009

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Thanks mate for this, here in the states we don't have bunnings. I have also heard about table salt. Have you heard about Morton Pool salt, would it be safe? Is it 1/2 teaspoon a tank or a gallon? Ive tried to make sure my guy has a lot of structure to hide behind. I added a triple sided PVC pipe the other , which he has been residing in for the last couple days. Friller2009 Friller2009 is it hard to move Cod to larger tanks???
Thank you and sorry for the sudden bombardment of questions.
Teaspoons not tablespoons, screwed up with that.
Majority of my tanks are around the 2ft-3ft range. I just eyeball it. Use a tablespoon on the bigger tanks
That's the salt I use. I assume you've got something similar in the states?

Never had to transport a larger cod 60cm+, but I have caught them, you need a big landing net. Take all the structure out though first, because they can hurt themselves thrashing around. They are a very strong fish aswell.

Reactions: surfermike915
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store