Poret Decay

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I am thinking of ditching poret altogether, and just use japanese mat instead. Any thoughts?
I don't know about japanese mat but i do know about pillow stuffing. An entire pillow stuffing would filter my 1700 gallon pond. The water would be CRYSTAL clear and nitrates would be close to zero. I used to replace half of the stuffing every month. It worked like a charm and was super cheap.

Reactions: FINWIN and Midwater

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Just to be clear, Midwater Midwater didn't buy the brand Poret foam but a type of foam media (post #18) that has the appearance of Poret. Big difference IMO.

A local fish shop near me is selling foam for Mattenfilter, canisters and power filters and it is not the brand Poret and it also does not hold up to long term use despite his claims.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Just to be clear, Midwater Midwater didn't buy the brand Poret foam but a type of foam media (post #18) that has the appearance of Poret.
Correct.

Actual branded Poret is not available here. Some imported stuff is, and some just does not come.

The stuff I got was just not up to the job.

I have just ordered locally a 2M X 1M (6' X 3') thick piece of coarse japanese mat and another similar sized thin piece of fine. I have been using japanese mat in ponds for years and it stands up to time. Not as flexible as foam, but that is what I will use.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Poret is becoming fairly well known, and many people are using the word as though it defines a general type of product; much like the common but erroneous use of the term "Kleenex". They are not names for generic products, but rather refer to specific products made by specific manufacturers.

When you sneeze your way right through a "Kleenex", it isn't fair to state that Kleenex is no good. All you have proved is that the particular brand of facial tissue you used is substandard.

When your filter foam degrades, it is likewise unfair to state that "Poret" doesn't last...unless the foam really is a product made by Poret. My experience and that of many others indicates that actual Poret lasts many years without degrading.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I think it would be fair to say that eventually all these "foam" filter products will "decay" over time, whether it's genuine Poret, or a lesser known brand. I think the key to their longevity lies in how each hobbyist uses and treats their foam, and it seems to be pretty clear that we all have our different methods, hence different timescales regarding the foams degradation.

Using these foams as mechanical filtration where they're cleaned every week, scrubbed, beaten, dried out, basically manhandled to within an inch of their foamy lives, is entirely different to using these foams as bio media, where they may remain in situ for months on end. When they are eventually cleaned it is a very soft cleansing as not to eradicate the all important BB.

I think both these factors play an important role in the lifespan of these various foams. If anyone believes that their foams aren't lasting as long as they should, maybe take a look at your methods of usage and/or cleaning.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
As stated earlier brand matters. I only use and recommend Swiss Tropicals. Many other hobbyists recommend it to me after years of testing. It has lasted for over 5 years and is like new in Fluval canisters. Also used it for sponge filters, HOB filters and in sumps. The stuff is great. I have never dried or had mine exposed to sun for any extended time.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I don't know about japanese mat but i do know about pillow stuffing. An entire pillow stuffing would filter my 1700 gallon pond. The water would be CRYSTAL clear and nitrates would be close to zero. I used to replace half of the stuffing every month. It worked like a charm and was super cheap.
Yah I used to buy it like that on Ebay. Seller would have bags that looked like bales of hay. Only reason I stopped was due to environmental concerns of disposing of so much fiber that doesn't break down. But it was convenient though!

Nobody I know of around here sells the real poret and some bum site is pretending to sell the real stuff. Right now the Aqua clear blocks are doing really well. What foam they use I don't know but its working for me. Grabs debris and just rinses like teflon.

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Hello. I only use Poret in my HOB filters. They do a great job and I have never had any problems with it.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I received this Porrett panel, shipped to Panama from Swiss Tropicals in early Dec 2020.
It's still in pretty good shape these days, and still does a good job mechanically filtering my sump, as an entire mechanical wall.
I hose it down pretty heavily, but never let it dry in the sun.
IMG_8768.jpeg
Being a SCUBA diver, I was always warned that any of these Neoprene type materials should never be left under UV light.
This is it below, with a shot taken today.
I admit I have allowed plant roots to grow into it. and they occasionally need to be yanked out.
Thick Dieffenbachia roots leave holes, but the filter wall is generally still pretty solid.
IMG_5873.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store