Can I use the Somatic UF-1 Media Reactor for K1 Filter?

chopshop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2023
Your kinda right....the media is locking at the top, but there is no return pipe.
Ultrareef reactor is just a inlet pipe at the bottom which feeds a series of holes that spread around the bottom for even flow and then the top of the reactor is disc that has more holes spread all over.
So in theory it should work...but it's not looking good for tumbling.
Not sure what air out put is tbh probably 3 bubbles a second coming out of the standard airline

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Your kinda right....the media is locking at the top, but there is no return pipe.
Ultrareef reactor is just a inlet pipe at the bottom which feeds a series of holes that spread around the bottom for even flow and then the top of the reactor is disc that has more holes spread all over.
So in theory it should work...but it's not looking good for tumbling.
Not sure what air out put is tbh probably 3 bubbles a second coming out of the standard airline
Well let's get this out of the way first before moving on:

1) Is this being used inside your main display?
2) How large is your tank (or more specifically how much nitrogen are you trying to filter)?
3) Are you ok with noise?

chopshop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2023
It's a old reef tank , the reactor is in the sump so noise isn't a issue , tank size is 400l and do you mean nitrates?...if so the number raises to 40ppm on day 6 after a water change, I do a WC every 7 days and that brings it back down to 20

brandontw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2024
In general, you are not filtering out nitrates, so what are you trying to use this for? Just biofiltration? If you already have a sump, why are you adding this in the sump?

Looks like a cool little unit, but adding ~1 liter of fluidized k1 to a system with a working sump seems low value.

With all that said, with the right mechanics, I think the media should fluidize pretty quickly. You shouldn't need to wait weeks.

chopshop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2023
Your right....I like the looks of moving media....I kinda miss the tech side of reefing...but I've made it fluidize now.
I reintroduced the centre plate I custom made...so basically it splits the reactor in 2 sections....now I'm getting no lock up and moving k1micro ....finally

brandontw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2024
Your right....I like the looks of moving media....I kinda miss the tech side of reefing...but I've made it fluidize now.
I reintroduced the centre plate I custom made...so basically it splits the reactor in 2 sections....now I'm getting no lock up and moving k1micro ....finally
Nice! I get it. Sometimes its just fun to tinker with things...

I am on my own useless foray into fluidized media as well:

Reactions: chopshop
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store