Drift wood

Rywe98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2024
Is it possible to put drift wood in a tarpaulin pond without it tearing ??

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Yes it is, but a lot depends on the liner itself and how soft the ground is. although to be sure, stand it on a second layer, or even better, on a piece of butyl rubber liner.
My butyl liner pond has both large driftwood pieces (tree root sections) and rockwork caves for my catfish.
could you post a pic

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Is it possible? Of course it is, under the proper circumstances...but by the same token it can result in tears as well, under the wrong circumstances. A soft backing layer under the pond liner (mine is old carpeting) is very helpful, and of course there are different thicknesses of liner so the thicker ones are more durable. As Fishman Dave Fishman Dave stated, an additional protective layer right under the wood, such as an extra piece of liner, is a good idea.

Probably the most important factor is the wood itself. An old waterlogged piece of wood, with all corners and sharp edges worn down by time and/or pleco feeding action is pretty harmless. A relative new piece festooned with jagged points and sharp edges is an accident waiting to happen. If you have that type of wood, working it over thoroughly with a wood rasp or coarse file to remove all those pointy pokey things is time well spent.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
could you post a pic
The below shows videos of the pond in one of its iterations.
When I had girraffe cats I added some gravel for them which I find also helps distribute the “weight” or corners of the wood/stone. Some are on the gravel (the girraffes move it around all the time) the main wood pieces (hard to see to the left) are on a second sheet of liner.
My pond is liner on concrete but with polystyrene and carpet between for insulation.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store