Fire Eel Community Tank

RyanScanner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Hi all,

first time posting but been a long time lurker.

I’m considering setting up a Fire Eel community tank in my new 318g tank. My LFS has a sudden supply of 3-4’’ fire eels, but after reading 70+ pages of FE threads I’m thinking of getting 5 of them and growing them out and slowly selling the shy and fussy ones until I have the one good one that will suit the tank fully grown. Is this a good idea? Or should I just get the one and see if I’m lucky to get one that feeds well and doesn’t hide all the time.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hi all,

first time posting but been a long time lurker.

I’m considering setting up a Fire Eel community tank in my new 318g tank. My LFS has a sudden supply of 3-4’’ fire eels, but after reading 70+ pages of FE threads I’m thinking of getting 5 of them and growing them out and slowly selling the shy and fussy ones until I have the one good one that will suit the tank fully grown. Is this a good idea? Or should I just get the one and see if I’m lucky to get one that feeds well and doesn’t hide all the time.
Just IMO. I just get one and grow it out. Ask to feed in the store and see which ones are always active and hungry.

RyanScanner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
I’m in Western Australia and their resell value is huge btw. They very rarely come up in any LFS let alone in the state. These are $175.00 each but 10-12” go for $500.00 plus. Will they fight at young age? The LFS has 12 in a very small tank and they are literally on top of each other in their PVC pipes.

• Wow
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’m in Western Australia and their resell value is huge btw. They very rarely come up in any LFS let alone in the state. These are $175.00 each but 10-12” go for $500.00 plus. Will they fight at young age? The LFS has 12 in a very small tank and they are literally on top of each other in their PVC pipes.
There’s aggression and at small sizes can stress other eels out and curb appetites. I see it in other eel species. If you’re getting 5 then it might spread out the aggression. Don’t see many fire eel keepers with complaint of lack of eating so if planning to resell then try it out.

RyanScanner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Then again I’m a complete eel novice and I may just end up killing 5 eels so maybe I should just try the one 4” in a 300g tank lol. I don’t have another set up apart from my planted shrimp tank who I want uneaten lol.

Reactions: kno4te

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I have seen several members here over the years with multiple mature fire eels in appropriate size tanks. Cant remember all of them but heres the most recent thread i could find from Oskie Boy Oskie Boy

RyanScanner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
I have seen several members here over the years with multiple mature fire eels in appropriate size tanks. Cant remember all of them but heres the most recent thread i could find from Oskie Boy Oskie Boy

I saw that thread amazing tank and amazing Fire Eels!
I was wondering if it was like African Cichlids, if you get enough in a tank and they have their territories they can be peaceful. Then again that’s a 600g, double mine.
I’ve decided on just 2 now to start with then sell the smaller one after aggression starts. Some threads said competition for food can encourage them to feed even on new foods after starving them.
This is such a great informative forum, full of every situation success and failure to learn from!

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store