Hatching triops

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Decided to order and try my hand at triops and plan on trying to have atleast 2 in my 2.5g tank and then I wanna put a couple in my 30g with the cave tetras but not entirely sure how to hatch the eggs, I ordered from green water farms. I’m wondering if I can hatch them in a tiny dish using tank water from one of my fish tanks or if I need to use a certain type of water

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
They’ve started to hatch. I’ll post a picture as soon as I can get one good enough to tell what it is.

Reactions: cockroach

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Glad to hear the hatched - based on all the times I’ve kept them from the science kits it’s seemed like they always only needed plain old water to do their thing.
They’d most likely get eaten by any fish, but would be interesting on their own display.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Glad to hear the hatched - based on all the times I’ve kept them from the science kits it’s seemed like they always only needed plain old water to do their thing.
They’d most likely get eaten by any fish, but would be interesting on their own display.
I don’t think that cave tetras will mess with them too much but if they do then I have plenty more eggs to hatch plus I’ll be putting a couple in my 2.5g. I used tank water from my 75g and the light from my 2.5g and left it overnight and I woke up worried they had gotten too cold cause the water felt ice cold but an hour later I looked at it and a saw a couple tiny dots shaking back and forth and now there’s maybe 15 of them hatched and I have them in a mason jar for now.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
What food are you planning on feeding them?

Reactions: Deadeye and Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
What food are you planning on feeding them?
On the box it came with it says for feeding instructions to feed with carrot, potato or lettuce so I was gonna feed tiny bits of potato after 3 days or after they look big enough to fit it in their mouths. If you have any suggestions though I’d like to hear them. For now I’ve been adding bits of water from my 40g where I’ve sucked up little organisms that I’ve been watching the tiny triops attack.

Reactions: Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I raised a batch of them for my granddaughters some years back. Grew fast, very active and interesting, not fussy about water conditions or parameters. They were very cannibalistic and quickly pared themselves down to a few adults that lived several months together once grown.

Each time I looked at them I was reminded of Horseshoe Crabs, but most of my family called them Facehuggers, a la "Alien".

Reactions: Deadeye and Rtc/tsn

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I raised a batch of them for my granddaughters some years back. Grew fast, very active and interesting, not fussy about water conditions or parameters. They were very cannibalistic and quickly pared themselves down to a few adults that lived several months together once grown.

Each time I looked at them I was reminded of Horseshoe Crabs, but most of my family called them Facehuggers, a la "Alien".
Exactly my experience. Kids tried them several times but they always ended up eating each other so we’re left with just 1 or 2. They ate anything…I just gave them leftover fish food.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn and jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store