The Farmer's Dog

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Anyone feed their dogs with this food? We just recently switched our dogs to it. Dogs seem to like it.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
My dogs liked it until I found out how much my wife was spending. We have 4 dogs the smallest is 100lb. I advised her alimony would be cheaper and we stopped feeding that. Good stuff but $460 a week is insane.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
My dogs liked it until I found out how much my wife was spending. We have 4 dogs the smallest is 100lb. I advised her alimony would be cheaper and we stopped feeding that. Good stuff but $460 a week is insane.
Hahaha. Agree with this. If you have a single dog, or small dogs, it's great. But boy does the $$$ go up when you have multiple big dogs.

Cook fresh food yourself if it comes to that.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I have had very healthy and long living dogs with Purina dog chow. All get regular vet checks and our vet said not to change whatever we were doing. My wife spent alot of time trying to find the best food for them. I do believe the food they provide is very good. I didn't see a difference in the dogs health. Admittedly only on it for 2 months.

Reactions: tlindsey

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Ouch! My wife set up the order so I have no idea what it costs. We have two small dogs.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
We made the switch late last year and our dogs love it. Specifically their turkey recipe. It’s pricey though, no doubt about that. And we have just two dogs at the moment that are only around 20 and 25 pounds. I can’t imagine having to feed a larger dog or multiple large dog breeds.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have had very healthy and long living dogs with Purina dog chow...Admittedly only on it for 2 months.
Lol, it would take longer than that for problems to show up if you fed them only cardboard and old shoes.

Our dog eats a 50/50 mix of premium dog food and our home blend of cooked venison and rice. We made all of our dogs' food, using supplements, for several decades; I think it worked out pretty well, as our MastiffXDane lived to almost 14 and our PitbullXPyrenees was still going for multi-kilometer daily walks with me to within a couple weeks of her eventual passing at 17. Those are healthy ages for any dog, and amazing ones for such large dogs. But our current vet has convinced us that simply using an admixture of quality commercial food with our home brew is a more economical and more effective means of providing all vitamins and trace elements; it's been a couple years now...not months! :)...and so far so good.

I read a lot of dog food labels before settling on one; would have been even pickier if it was going to be the dog's entire diet. I have a neighbour who feeds her little mutt Farmer's Dog, and I was impressed when I saw and smelled it; pretty sure the ingredient list looked good, but I never seriously considered it because of the cost.

I like the idea of a brand which is easily and locally available. I always have a couple big bags on hand, rotating them out for freshness, so that if something comes up that interrupts the supply I will have a couple months' worth on hand to give me a chance to find a substitute and switch the dog over graduallly.

Last edited:

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Sorry if not clear I only feed farmers dog for 2 months. Purina for 15+ years. As with anything if it works for you and your pets(and works for your budget) then it is the best solution for you.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sorry if not clear I only feed farmers dog for 2 months. Purina for 15+ years. As with anything if it works for you and your pets(and works for your budget) then it is the best solution for you.
Oops! I totally misread that...:)

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store