“Peppering” Discus.. what is it?

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
yours doesn’t seem to have a lot of peppering not that it would bother me I suppose it’s up to the individual. your fish colours look great to me.

Reactions: 30index

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Bah! The whole 'peppering' obsession is nothing more than an arbitrary cosmetic preference, an artificial standard of 'quality' contrived by some breeders and hobbyists. Unfortunately, they've succeeded in imposing it on the average, easily influenced hobbyist.

I kept some of the very early, 'peppered' pigeon blood discus. Robust and gorgeous fish, large growing, bulletproof health with reasonable-- not fanatical-- care. They didn't get sick, they didn't need deworming-- ever, if you fed them sensibly, they didn't need preventative medication, they didn't need fanatical water changes. And they didn't need beef heart, nor crazy high protein to grow well, get big, or produce fry!

Years ago, like 30 years ago, I saw a line bred pigeon blood variant, a so called 'royal king', that would blow away most of today's varieties, in beauty and especially in size-- they were huge. They were rare. They were expensive. Oh, yeah, they had some peppering.

Yours are nice. I could care less about the contrived and artificial 'peppering' thing. :)

Last edited:

30index

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2023
Bah! The whole 'peppering' obsession is nothing more than an arbitrary cosmetic preference, an artificial standard of 'quality' contrived by some breeders and hobbyists. Unfortunately, they've succeeded in imposing it on the average, easily influenced hobbyist.

I kept some of the very early, 'peppered' pigeon blood discus. Robust and gorgeous fish, large growing, bulletproof health with reasonable-- not fanatical-- care. They didn't get sick, they didn't need deworming-- ever, if you fed them sensibly, they didn't need preventative medication, they didn't need fanatical water changes. And they didn't need beef heart, nor crazy high protein to grow well, get big, or produce fry!

Years ago, like 30 years ago, I saw a line bred pigeon blood variant, a so called 'royal king', that would blow away most of today's varieties, in beauty and especially in size-- they were huge. They were rare. They were expensive. Oh, yeah, they had some peppering.

Yours are nice. I could care less about the contrived and artificial 'peppering' thing. :)

I'm glad to hear you say that. I'm new to discus and have had a 75 gal planted tank for 6 months. The first two I got had a really hard time and I learned that they came from Florida during the most recent hurricane.. who knows what kind of trauma they went through but I ended up treating them with Prazi and it got their weight back up and rid of the parasites. But they are still very peppered and hang in the corner. I think one isn't back to perfect yet and her peppering is a result of her stress. MEANWHILE, the other five are doing great. The substrate is black so four of them have black find and some peppering on their faces. The blue pigeon has zero peppering. So that's to say that I think I have peppering that is OK for some of the fish, and a sign of stress for one.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I'm glad to hear you say that. I'm new to discus and have had a 75 gal planted tank for 6 months. The first two I got had a really hard time and I learned that they came from Florida during the most recent hurricane.. who knows what kind of trauma they went through but I ended up treating them with Prazi and it got their weight back up and rid of the parasites. But they are still very peppered and hang in the corner. I think one isn't back to perfect yet and her peppering is a result of her stress. MEANWHILE, the other five are doing great. The substrate is black so four of them have black find and some peppering on their faces. The blue pigeon has zero peppering. So that's to say that I think I have peppering that is OK for some of the fish, and a sign of stress for one.
mine had black substrate and switched them over to a tank that was bare bottom and white background and they lost most of the peppering but I think it might not go away completely it’s probably in the genetics

Reactions: 30index

30index

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2023
mine had black substrate and switched them over to a tank that was bare bottom and white background and they lost most of the peppering but I think it might not go away completely it’s probably in the genetics
There are days where I wish I hadn't planted. With discus especially, who like very clean water, I feel like I'm on a treadmill of cleaning and can never get ahead. Vacuuming is the worst because it stirs it all up and gets cloudy. Did you change to a bare bottom tank for the same reason? Am I completely nuts combining discus with plants?

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
There are days where I wish I hadn't planted. With discus especially, who like very clean water, I feel like I'm on a treadmill of cleaning and can never get ahead. Vacuuming is the worst because it stirs it all up and gets cloudy. Did you change to a bare bottom tank for the same reason? Am I completely nuts combining discus with plants?
Yes I switched to bare bottom bc the plant soil was impossible to keep clean. I gravel Vac’d every water change and endless debris would still collect in the soil.
I kept my plants but I put them in clay pots with soil and it’s been working out just fine. Water changes are much easier bc I can aim exactly to where I see the debris and I truly feel the water is much cleaner lol

30index

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2023
Yes I switched to bare bottom bc the plant soil was impossible to keep clean. I gravel Vac’d every water change and endless debris would still collect in the soil.
I kept my plants but I put them in clay pots with soil and it’s been working out just fine. Water changes are much easier bc I can aim exactly to where I see the debris and I truly feel the water is much cleaner lol
I feel so much better knowing that it’s not just me doing something wrong. I’m all in now so my next move is to get more plants. I ripped most of the existing plants out after coming home from winter break to a bad case of black hair algae. Shoot me. So now I’m kind of thin on tne plants. Buce is great but their plants are so small when they arrive.
Wish me luck and lob any advice you have over my way!! I need it. 😊9A0AF3B6-D5E1-4280-BBD2-60A22E0A37E6.jpeg

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I feel so much better knowing that it’s not just me doing something wrong. I’m all in now so my next move is to get more plants. I ripped most of the existing plants out after coming home from winter break to a bad case of black hair algae. Shoot me. So now I’m kind of thin on tne plants. Buce is great but their plants are so small when they arrive.
Wish me luck and lob any advice you have over my way!! I need it. 😊View attachment 1511061
I’m still learning myself and your tank looks beautiful
Here’s a little shot at how mine is going too
I’m. Going to buy some more plants that can root to my driftwood so I don’t add any more pots lol.

75F6974F-47FD-446F-9C96-AB86B5F7516C.jpeg

Reactions: DiscusLady
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store