2 Albino Arowana

Bjohn39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2024
I just recently bought 2 albino arowana from a eBay seller for $130 they are 3 inches both so should be fun. I have ordered off of eBay before so i know how the deal is with fish coming through the mail. I have owned a arowana before but he jumped a when he hit the ground it messed him up pretty bad and then he died. Now I am ready to start a new arowana growing process after months of consideration but I would like to know if there's anything I should get beforehand to ensure they survive. My quarantine tank currently has a 2 inch Flowerhorn and 3 inch RTC and the tank has 1 tbs of salt per 5 gallons I was thinking about upping the dosage to 1 per 3 once they get into the tank but want some more professional opinions on it.
Thanks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
quarantine tank currently has a 2 inch Flowerhorn and 3 inch RTC and the tank has 1 tbs of salt per 5 gallons I was thinking about upping the dosage to 1 per 3 once they get into the tank but want some more professional opinions on it.
I suggest isolate the baby albino arowana in a aquarium of their own. Arowana at that size are fragile and doesn't take much to stress them out. Also would put floating plants in the aquarium to make them feel secure.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Bjohn39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2024
I suggest isolate the baby albino arowana in a aquarium of their own. Arowana at that size are fragile and doesn't take much to stress them out. Also would put floating plants in the aquarium to make them feel secure.
Yeah I added a lot of this random floating plant that grows in my koi pond so it’s almost slap full of plants also I was going to watch how the flowerhorn acts with them then adjust accordingly I didn’t think the RTC would really care they both live in different worlds

Bjohn39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2024
I personally would use heat over salt especially if the little arowana are healthy.
Yeah I just like to be safe with salt to me it’s a cheap “cure all” for pretty much every common disease

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I would watch which floating plant I chose. Duckweed will just cover the whole surface and not really provide cover as such. And it would make it more difficult for the arrowana to breath from the surface. Something like Indian fern works well. Not a fan of salt used as a cure all, (mainly because it doesn’t) use it were required on just the fish it is needed on. Some fish don’t do well with salt in their tanks, so watch out for that.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bjohn39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2024
I also was wondering if these 2 3 inch arrows would be fine with like a 3 inch pellet fed rtc what do yall think

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Tbh, it’s only a matter of time. The redtail will grow much faster than the arro so even if they are fine together to start with they won’t be for long. Over 40 yrs I have had rtc that didn’t bother other fish …. But only till he got to 6” and then ate a 5” dat. My 10” rtc lived with an 14” arrowana until he got hungry one night. They don’t care that they can’t fit them all in! Then I have had a 30” redtail living peacefully with 8” fish and never bother them……… maybe not worth the effort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store