arowana community tank

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I am moving soon and will be upgrading my fish room. I am looking into getting a 10 x 4 x 3 fiberglass tank built (potentially larger but need to ensure it can get into the room). I have always wanted an aro community tank. Do you think three leichardti and two black aros can fit in here or will it be tight? I am having a hard time conceptualizing this one

Thanks

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
A few times I have seen five or six asian aros together, and often, one asian with a couple of american.

But three australian plus american. A bit experimental. Could be a time bomb.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Asian arowana/ American communities are quite common in Asian countries. I have never seen Australian arowana communities before though, there is probably a reason for that, given jardinis/ leichardti arowanas are most aggressive. I wouldn’t risk it if I were you.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Asian arowana/ American communities are quite common in Asian countries. I have never seen Australian arowana communities before though, there is probably a reason for that, given jardinis/ leichardti arowanas are most aggressive. I wouldn’t risk it if I were you.
Thank you for your input. I agree time will tell. My experiences with blacks and leis so far jas been they are not very aggressive

Reactions: tlindsey

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Definitely do-able. Australian aro community are quite common in Australia (Mainly Leichardtis since Jardinis are rarer over there). I've had Australian with South Americans before. I only kept them together for maybe at most 2 years before I went a different direction (I don't remember its been a long time). They were all sub adult to adult size already.

IMG_7184.jpg

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Definitely do-able. Australian aro community are quite common in Australia (Mainly Leichardtis since Jardinis are rarer over there). I've had Australian with South Americans before. I only kept them together for maybe at most 2 years before I went a different direction (I don't remember its been a long time). They were all sub adult to adult size already.

View attachment 1538869
Cool thank you. I see a jardini in there. How did he behave? Love to add a jardini but aren’t they supposed to be fairly aggressive?

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Cool thank you. I see a jardini in there. How did he behave? Love to add a jardini but aren’t they supposed to be fairly aggressive?
This jardini was fairly mellow. But generally speaking, any arowana raised in solitary since young is more likely to be "aggressive"/territorial. Any species of Aro can be aggressive though. It all comes down to individual fish's personality of course.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I think I've said it before but it's nice to see you posting from time to time Charney Charney . I have very limited experience, but I have kept a Silver with a Lei and didn't see aggression. While not exactly a group it was also in a smaller tank than you're proposing, and I imagine a group would also help disperse any aggression. I imagine the same would go for a Black as it did with the Silver and the Lei. Both were rehomed before reaching adult size though so I can't speak of lonterm.
1711946351481.png
1711946398184.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store