Aurea the golden/flash tiger catfish (Brachyplatystoma juruense) growout & color experiment

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Gutted for you guys. Lost a whole marine tank last year to a heater locking in the on position, first time that’s happened to me in 40 years.
Hope you can find another nice patterned fish soon and try again.
Gutting but don’t give up, I hate loosing fish. My wife thinks it’s the money but it’s not, it’s only cash and as my old mum says, you can’t take it with you when you go!
As for the vulture , they cannot be kept with Goonch. I think it’s to do with the way the Goonch swim. Almost act like a wounded fish and that attracts the vultures to bite them. Thankfully the crater mine made is healing well.
E93F6CDD-B79A-479C-B96C-EEA7466BF273.jpeg14AA3CC2-939F-4B15-890D-F60526C108D9.jpegB5FD8EB9-10DD-46E6-979C-9BA38CAD6AB1.jpeg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks, folks.

For what it's worth my hypothesis seems to have been playing out as expected. Even after death and the beginning of the degradation of her skin, the little bit of yellow she had begun to express more or less stayed- indicating that the yellow in a juruense is in fact environmental. It's a stain in their integument, not an expression of melanophores or the like.

This was a giant kick in the nuts, but I mean to find another and get on with the experiment. It may have to wait until I've got the 550 running however, as I have been procrastinating badly on that.

20200803_153456.jpg

20200803_153517.jpg

20200803_153547.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Is this what you’re looking for?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Is this what you’re looking for?
Yes, that's the species.

The issue I have is that I'm looking for one with an unusual, oddball pattern. There's not as many of those, and I am doubtful I'll get what I want ordering blindly.

Thank you for your effort however :)

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Again Rob, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find another oddball when the time is right.

Sorry to hear both you guys. I've lost thousands of fish over 12 years, half of them valuable. It's either you grow some skin or leave the hobby or go insane. The last two options are not for me. I hope and pray they are not for you either.

koltsixx koltsixx Kolt, that relatively little wound could not have been the cause of death, could it? Something similar happened between Dave's yarelli and vulture except his vulture made a horrible crater in yarelli. Fishman Dave Fishman Dave has got it in his thread. Have you seen it?
I'm not sure then what caused it. The hole was considerably bigger and his spine was exposed so I moved him to my tank with a Mega and some Dorbignyi. The hole quickly healed but he never ate and then one day he had just passed during the night. It's sad because I really like Yarelli but have had nothing but bad luck with them and always my error in tankmates. One was chewed up by some Pygopristis, then another was eaten by my Trachy's then I had this beauty who lived with the Trachys fine and I get a Vulture and wound up losing him too.

Sorry guys. That is tough. Having nurtured your favorite fishes for such a long time. My condolences.
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it, it was heartbreaking for me as he was my favorite.

Gutted for you guys. Lost a whole marine tank last year to a heater locking in the on position, first time that’s happened to me in 40 years.
Hope you can find another nice patterned fish soon and try again.
Gutting but don’t give up, I hate loosing fish. My wife thinks it’s the money but it’s not, it’s only cash and as my old mum says, you can’t take it with you when you go!
As for the vulture , they cannot be kept with Goonch. I think it’s to do with the way the Goonch swim. Almost act like a wounded fish and that attracts the vultures to bite them. Thankfully the crater mine made is healing well.
Thanks man, much appreciated. I'm glad you had better luck with your beauty. And I agree the Vulture left my Dorbignyi, Apurensis, Trachys and Xanthic Nigrita alone. So something about the Yarelli must have set him off as since then he still hasn't attacked any other fish with him.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I miss this fish. This loss gutted me.

I want to try again.
do it!!!
Read through the whole thread, sorry for your loss there at the end. Perhaps if I were júrense catfish become available again I may get one and PM you to see what your secret is

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store