Barramundi - Seafood Market Rescue

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Lawnmower blenny is hiding in a cave and hasn't come out yet, hopefully will be able to move around the rock work when/if it adjusts.
If not it'll be a cave dweller feeding on detritis as that's pretty much his purpose but would be nice to have a 3rd fish to see.
Tilefish is thriving, wanders the tank freely with no intimidation. I got some brine shrimp so he gets some food too other than aiptasia & algae.

Chromis are just too skittish and their fear triggers the barras killer instincts + shiny bodies attracts senses he gets interested real quick.
Dither fish need to be chill & not act crazy or they will def attract attention, & considering his average shrimp size needs to be bigger than what he accepts.
Tilefish is about 2.75" to 3" and chromis were less than an inch so next fish will need to be bigger than the filefish & move slow vs dithering.

Next fish may be the surgeon tang, i found one that's around 6" and less than a hundred bucks so that may be a potential tank mate.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Alright so the chromis were a bad move. Barra's killer instinct is alive and well.
1st chromis didn't last 2 seconds & the second one is hiding & will eventually make the menu.

Dither fish experiment will need a few adjustments.
- no small fish that are shiny or that have skittish movement, this triggers his senses & attracts attention that barra considers food
- next filefish will
- next fish must be introduced after barra has eaten
Won’t say I told you so, but I told ya so 😂

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Won’t say I told you so, but I told ya so 😂
He ate 1 chromis, the other is in the corner, i got a tilefish hanging out, & the blenny is in the rockwork. You are only 25% right.
I'd give you a medal if he ate the tilefish but for now i guess here's a cookie.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I've seen barramundi and groupers at several seafood markets. Unfortunate I don't have a big enough pond for any of those.
Are you breeding them? Trying to go fishing or something?
Sounds like you're saying a fish tank never crossed your mind or you would rather have them in a pond I don't get it?
Not sure about many barra or grouper owners that have ponds but ok.

AnomalocarisAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
Are you breeding them? Trying to go fishing or something?
Sounds like you're saying a fish tank never crossed your mind or you would rather have them in a pond I don't get it?
Not sure about many barra or grouper owners that have ponds but ok.
I mean, I thought it made sense that large ponds are cheaper than large aquariums. While I do see many people keeping barras and groupers in aquariums, I would rather get a 1000gal pond than a 1000gal aquarium.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I mean, I thought it made sense that large ponds are cheaper than large aquariums. While I do see many people keeping barras and groupers in aquariums, I would rather get a 1000gal pond than a 1000gal aquarium.
Pond price vs aquarium price would have too much range to compare, but 1000g pond seems doable if you have a yard & year round good weather.
You can get a 240g aquarium for around $2000 give or take but your'e right, $2000 pond may be able to get more than a 1000g if you do the work yourself.

I'm happy with my 150g but I did have a 275g IBC tote I got for $100 and kept in my garage for koi & goldfish. It lasted for about 2 years until I tried adding heaters then it just overheated so I just got rid of it. Plywood tank or small swimming pools are used a lot too but I'm getting too old for those crazy projects I just want something I can enjoy with as little work as possible. I wouldn't have thought of doing saltwater but Barra or grouper pond sounds pretty cool though.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I basically live near where barras are located. The barras and groupers at seafood markets are all local.
you're spoiled with variety in your area.. i think the native fish keeping hobby here is mostly toward river tanks with minnows & shiners & for big fish probably florida gar would be most popular. i haven't seen many keep walleye or other native predator fish but if you count hawaii then the saltwater fish range is pretty much at your speed. i guess cali, florida too. there's peacock bass + snakehead in some states but they're not native. get one of those colorful channa or asian aro and you'll be set. barra is sold in your area in fingerlings by the dozen i'm sure u probably see them everywhere

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
update with the new tank mates -

Filefish takes any uneaten shrimp falling to the bottom and shares it with the hermit crabs. I was surprised when the barra had too much shrimp and allowed the filefish to freely take the piece that he didn't want. It'll roam mostly during the day and once it gets to sunset he'll find a place to keep out of sight until the morning. I think the spiked dorsal fin + the fact that he looks/hovers like a leaf is what's keeping him from being eaten.

The blenny will usually be seen in the same spot so adding a few more to scatter throughout the reef rock would prob be the next additions. Maybe other blennies, gobies, or mandarins. Want to keep trying to mix tankmates not usually seen with barramundi and will also help take care of tank maintenance. Yellow tang will most likely not make an appearance as the only ones i see are in the nano size so if a craigslist adult tang comes along that'll prob be the only chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store