duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
these are different species, or just location variants of Ancistrus panamense
IMG_1174.jpegIMG_0624.jpeg
Above caught in the Rio San Martin, part of the Rio Chagres system.
Below, caught in Rio Chepo, part of the Rio Bayano system.
IMG_5301.jpegIMG_5152.jpeg

Reactions: kno4te

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Hard to say from just a few pics, but...does it seem that the eye is further back and higher on the head in the new fish? Different head shape? Thicker caudal peduncle, with less body taper towards the rear? Seems like separate species.

Are all these specimens roughly the same size?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think different species, possibly even different genera. However, I don't pretend to know.
The fish in the second picture (which shows well its side), shows a central (dorsal) line of scales bearing protrusions (like spines) along the the fish's length. Then, there is at least one more row of similar spines on the side of the fish, about mid height along the body; potentially (not sure about this one) one more row below.
The fish in the third and fourth pictures (same animal) is much smoother, with no visible rows of scales bearing protrusions as the previous fish.
I would say they are different species at least.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Great info.
I didn't notice those spines until you pointed the difference out, nice observations.
And the genus Chaetestoma is not in my field guide (so I had not considered it), but.....after a little research
I did find Chaetostoma fischeri, is found its far north as Panama and in the Bayano river drainage, where I was collecting.

Last edited:

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
To me they seem very different, there are clear visual differences. With so many that in my opinion it's very unlikely they're even closely related species. Perhaps superficially if genetic research was conducted but I'd agree with FJB a different genus in likelihood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store