Green Texas cichlid from JoeFish Aquatics at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you much guys.

So if this one is Herichthys cyanoguttatus (Texas Cichlid), my other one must be Herichthys carpintis? in here

Looks like it could be cyanoguttatus, I love when the term "low quality Texas or flower horn" is used, I c all mixes as low quality hahaha
I am densely ignorant when it comes to cichlids, got much to learn from ya'll :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you much! Neither of mine look like the carpintis you are showing, not in the markings, nor in the body shape, albeit both are somewhat close.

It is different from cyanoguttatus ,but neither is of low quality. It is [perfectly adapted, and colored for its natural habitat.
To me these are perfect, its only the man made/induced hybrids and mutants that have questionable quality.
I share in this sentiment and couldn't agree more.

When I said "low quality" I was merely writing down my thoughts of a guy who doesn't know cichlids and the first ID thought that popped into my head. This is the first time in my life I have met the genus name and the two species names, so what could you expect of me? :)

Reactions: Nilsafeller

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Seems like we got another Herichthys cyanoguttatus
Yes, that's what it appears to be. I didn't have the heart to correct you last time around. lol That, and these days there are so many hybrids in circulation without some kind of provenance back to the wild you might as well call it whatever you feel like.

• Haha
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would also revise my answer to include those fish that should be culled.
In any spawn whether wild fish, or aquarium strains there are individuals that (in nature) would not last a week, or a month because of deformities that compromise survival of the fittest.
IMO these include short body, curved spines, and the kind of mouths found on many BPs.
The genus Herichthys, has (at the moment 12 recognized species) but may be lessened if the genus Nosferatu is separated and validated.
These include H. cyananoguttatus and carpintus, but also deppii, tamasopoensis, tepehua, and minckleyi,
All these look outwardly, fairly similar, and come from similar habitat in Mexico
below H.tamasopoensis

At the moment Herichthys also includes the labridens group, those suggested of late to be in the Nosferatu genus.
A couple below
bartoni

and below, pantostictus

there are more

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I've always been confused by the different types of Texas. duanes duanes is this an H carpintus or maybe a hybrid?

BA Texas Cichlid s.jpg

I had him about 5 years ago but sold him due to business crashing when we had some big political problems and I had to downsize. And just like yours Viktor he was one mean and territorial SOB, he eventually had to go solo.

Anyway just for fun try putting some blue-ish light on that tank buddy, then watch your Texas instantly turn into the most stunning fish in the tank, those micro pearls would really pop.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store