Hints For Grinding Up Pellet Food For Fry?

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I usually use a rolling pin after covering pellets with plastic wrap or put pellets in a sandwich bag and then roll. Are there easier, more efficient ways. A few tablespoons lasts quite a while so I don't need anything too elaborate.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I use a small mortar and pestle, picked up on sale at a kitchenware store. Before I got that, I just used the back of a teaspoon with the food in a small salad bowl; that worked okay but required more effort on hard pellets than the new kit. Either way works easily on flake food.

It's fast and easy to make enough ground food at once that by the time it's finished, the fry have outgrown the need for such finely ground stuff.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've never intentionally bred fish in my whole fishkeeping life. But I accidentally came across a fantastic way to size reduce pellets or flake down to a fine powder.

When I'm coming to the end of a packet of pellets I noticed that at the bottom of the packet you always get the fines. Pellets that have broken down over time through the shaking of the bag etc.

But the powder's no good to me, I need to get rid of it. What I do is tip the remaining handful of pellets into a kitchen sieve, give it a shake and the fines fall through the holes. I'm then left with just pellets.

But here's the best bit, which is going to be ideal for you. If you carry on shaking the sieve the pellets which are churning together also start to break down into fines due to the friction of rubbing together as you shake.

You could even shake the sieve directly over your fry tank!

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Say, that might be worth a try at the start to see what I get.

Reactions: tlindsey

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Never done this before but the first thing that comes to my mind is use two spoons to crush a few pellets and then throw them in the tank. Seems a trivial little thing to go shopping for a new gadget over lol.

Reactions: jjohnwm

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have used mortar and pestle and it works well. However, I now use a dedicated coffee bean grinder. I use it to make fine food that I mix with various flakes and ground insects to result in a superfood dry food. With practice one leans to pulse the on button to attain larger or smaller size.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
You could try buying the micro pellets...they're only slightly larger than fry krill powder. Here's some old school I got from a relative: EGG YOLK. Put cooked yolk in cheesecloth , shake it around and watch the fry fly. Do a very small water change after each feeding. They will grow like crazy.

Reactions: FJB and tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have been use egg yolk for decades. My mother swore by it and used it massively in the 50’s when few quality foods were available. I still like it. A little bit goes a long way!

Reactions: FINWIN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store