Irian Jaya Tiger Datnoid

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I just bought a 3-inch Irian Jaya Tiger Datnoid. t looks like this: https://bluegrassaquatics.com/tiger-datnoid-irian-jaya-regular.html

1) How large does it grow?
2) I've owned thin-bar datnoids before, but not this species. Similar temperament to the thin-bar?
3) Can I mix it with a thin-bar datnoid if I happen to find one?
4) Is it the same species as a campbelli like this site says?
5) Will its colors stabilize as it grows? Sometimes its yellow-gold colors grey out.

Currently, I'm growing it out in my 55g with a 5" clown knife, two 3" Geophagus, and a 4" Uaru. They will be going in my 300g when big enough.

Last edited:

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
1.) About fifteen inches. Possibly larger, but might have to be kept in large body of water.
2.) Similar. NGT is slightly shyer if anything.
3.) Yes, I have kept, NGT and NTT together.
4.) Yes, Irian Jaya is the same island land mass as New Guinea, and this is the same fish, Datnioides Campbelli.

5.) Personally, I don't go with this 'stabilize' stuff. Dats are opportunist predators. It is in their interest to blend in to their environment. They can at times show highly vivid colour. I think dats are stable when they are allowed to fade out.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
1.) About fifteen inches. Possibly larger, but might have to be kept in large body of water.
2.) Similar. NGT is slightly shyer if anything.
3.) Yes, I have kept, NGT and NTT together.
4.) Yes, Irian Jaya is the same island land mass as New Guinea, and this is the same fish, Datnioides Campbelli.

5.) Personally, I don't go with this 'stabilize' stuff. Dats are opportunist predators. It is in their interest to blend in to their environment. They can at times show highly vivid colour. I think dats are stable when they are allowed to fade out.
Thanks!

Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store