Jardini?

whalp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2024
Hey guys I think I am finalizing my ideas for my fish room, I believe I am going for 2 8ft tanks one is 3ftW and another 2ftW both 2ftH and am wondering if a Jardini is capable of living forever in one of them? I want to get a Red Tail Giant Gourami as well but the Jardini would be kept alone in either of the tanks as I dont wanna risk it's homicial thoughts, and is the only aro species I could house realistically without a custom build. Which tank should each go? RTGG will be kept with larger cichlids such as 1 Oscar, 1 Stripped Pike(or Zebra, still looking for other types to finalize what pike to keep), 1 Endili Bichir and 1 Syndontis or (looking for a larger non aggressive catfish), or kept alone as I kind of like that idea to. If possible would a common pleco or Adontis or other very large plecos be okay to house with a Jardini as an Armored cat, if not a good idea ill stick to Jardini (possibly plant it with crypts and water lettuce for floating.)
I keep seeing 6x2x2 as minimum recommendations for Jardini here and on videos but is that really minimum for a FULL grown adult Jardini?(Im still going 8ft for mine)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishman Dave

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Both fish would do better in a 3ft or wider aquarium but the reality is most aquarist are not going to achieve the maximum size for most monster sized fish. I would focus on your systems/procedures first on how to deal with two large tanks before planning your stocking. For monster fish to actually reach their maximum species size requires a lot of time, a lot of money, and a lot of luck (genetics).

I have no experience with giant gourami but Jardini can easily grow to about ~20" within the first two years in optimal conditions but I've never seen any 3 foot jars in the aquarium hobby directly. I've heard about some people having 30"+ jardinis or 3 footers in public aquariums but never any picture proof for either. The only confirmed 3 foot jardini i've seen is from someone who was fishing in the outback although I don't recall what forum it was on. Additionally, I can confidently claim that to achieve such sizes would require at least 4 years of dedication.

In my experience with the largest Jardini i've ever raised (from birth to death in a 240g 8x2x2 from 4-6") got to about 24" just after 2 years but it's important to remember Jardini are deep body fish. I tend to notice they grow much wider and deeper rather than longer after about the 18" mark.

Reactions: whalp

whalp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2024
Both fish would do better in a 3ft or wider aquarium but the reality is most aquarist are not going to achieve the maximum size for most monster sized fish. I would focus on your systems/procedures first on how to deal with two large tanks before planning your stocking. For monster fish to actually reach their maximum species size requires a lot of time, a lot of money, and a lot of luck (genetics).

I have no experience with giant gourami but Jardini can easily grow to about ~20" within the first two years in optimal conditions but I've never seen any 3 foot jars in the aquarium hobby directly. I've heard about some people having 30"+ jardinis or 3 footers in public aquariums but never any picture proof for either. The only confirmed 3 foot jardini i've seen is from someone who was fishing in the outback although I don't recall what forum it was on. Additionally, I can confidently claim that to achieve such sizes would require at least 4 years of dedication.

In my experience with the largest Jardini i've ever raised (from birth to death in a 240g 8x2x2 from 4-6") got to about 24" just after 2 years but it's important to remember Jardini are deep body fish. I tend to notice they grow much wider and deeper rather than longer after about the 18" mark.
Thank you for this, my filtration for the Jardini would be 3 sponge filters with diy 1gallon jugs of k1 media as he'd be the only fish within the tank. And the other tank with a Red Tail GG would have a community tank of larger cichlids and 1 catfish with a larger bichir so I plan on using a 4 channel overhead sump into a 55gallon barrel with a 3000gph pump, 3 forms of mechanical, 1 box of media and the barrel full of media+k1. 50% waterchanges biweekly. I feel larger tanks should have more time inbetween changes as to not stress the fish, though Ill be monitoring the water parameters and change water sooner than intended if needed.

Reactions: thiswasgone

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Thank you for this, my filtration for the Jardini would be 3 sponge filters with diy 1gallon jugs of k1 media as he'd be the only fish within the tank. And the other tank with a Red Tail GG would have a community tank of larger cichlids and 1 catfish with a larger bichir so I plan on using a 4 channel overhead sump into a 55gallon barrel with a 3000gph pump, 3 forms of mechanical, 1 box of media and the barrel full of media+k1. 50% waterchanges biweekly. I feel larger tanks should have more time inbetween changes as to not stress the fish, though Ill be monitoring the water parameters and change water sooner than intended if needed.
Sounds good, if you don't plan on speeding through growth spurts I think you can easily get away with the two tank sizes you mentioned for at least 2 years before you have to consider any changes if you keep your current stock. Of course, as previously mentioned in this thread two 8x3x2 tanks or larger would be best.

IME I find that fish grow the fastest when using a combination of high temperatures to push metabolism, as high of a DO level you can get at your water temperature, and high protein diets. However, there are two downsides to what I call "speed growing"; more feeding, especially high in protein, means more nitrates and higher metabolism in some fish species has been proven to reduce lifespan (IIRC only tested in saltwater "bait" fish due to their relatively short lifespan). I will note though that protective traits (toxins/poison, shells, etc.) have been proven to have a higher correlation in lifespan compared to metabolism throughout a wider range of species including fish.

HTH

whalp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2024
Sounds good, if you don't plan on speeding through growth spurts I think you can easily get away with the two tank sizes you mentioned for at least 2 years before you have to consider any changes if you keep your current stock. Of course, as previously mentioned in this thread two 8x3x2 tanks or larger would be best.

IME I find that fish grow the fastest when using a combination of high temperatures to push metabolism, as high of a DO level you can get at your water temperature, and high protein diets. However, there are two downsides to what I call "speed growing"; more feeding, especially high in protein, means more nitrates and higher metabolism in some fish species has been proven to reduce lifespan (IIRC only tested in saltwater "bait" fish due to their relatively short lifespan). I will note though that protective traits (toxins/poison, shells, etc.) have been proven to have a higher correlation in lifespan compared to metabolism throughout a wider range of species including fish.

HTH
Yeah thanks for the informative growth idea, thats nice but I think im too inexperienced to tip my toes into that route. Ill probably cause myself more problems if im not careful with that, ill stick to what I know and take the longer route of growth, its less stressful and I like the idea of watching my fishes grow. Time really flies by quick anyways xD I think Ill end up doing both as 8x3x2 for the sake of having my fishes feel comfortable, and low stock the GG's tank, probably just 1 oscar 1 pike 1 bichir and 1 catfish and call it a day on it.

Reactions: thiswasgone

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Yeah thanks for the informative growth idea, thats nice but I think im too inexperienced to tip my toes into that route. Ill probably cause myself more problems if im not careful with that, ill stick to what I know and take the longer route of growth, its less stressful and I like the idea of watching my fishes grow. Time really flies by quick anyways xD I think Ill end up doing both as 8x3x2 for the sake of having my fishes feel comfortable, and low stock the GG's tank, probably just 1 oscar 1 pike 1 bichir and 1 catfish and call it a day on it.
Definitely the route I go towards nowadays; it also helps with keeping the water quality better :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store