MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not sure how they do it but pool salts are designed to break down and give off chlorine to keep the pool clean. Ok we use dechlorinators but not sure I would want to be adding a known source of chlorine to my tank personally.
It may all be to do with the way pool generators work but I just don’t trust the idea.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Not sure how they do it but pool salts are designed to break down and give off chlorine to keep the pool clean. Ok we use dechlorinators but not sure I would want to be adding a known source of chlorine to my tank personally.
It may all be to do with the way pool generators work but I just don’t trust the idea.
I've been using pool salt my entire aquarium career and used it on probably 40 something species and never had an issue, although I have been using one brand the entire time so it would 100% differ between brands.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
so I’ve been contemplating which salt to use. I’m looking for one with no iodine. this is proving rather difficult haha. I just hate testing products that are iffy. But that’s how progress is made right? I was talking to my friend who said he’s never heard that the Aussie fish need salt. He keeps eel tail cats, Neosilurus sp. and no I’m not doubting a native Aussie in Friller2009 Friller2009 but I think it’s crazy how many people don’t know that some fish like Murray Cod and Jade perch need salt. Definitely something overlooked. Maybe thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter may have had a little bit more luck if he had salt. But at his volume, such a task proves rather tiresome. If I can’t use Pool Salt, what would be another good option? I almost never use salt besides my Bumblebee Grouper which is in Marine Salt. Lots and lots of questions that I’ll find answers to.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
When I need to give my fish a salt bath, short term or long term, I buy softener salt like Morton linked above or any other, usually 40lb bags. It says pure salt on the package, salt content is 99.8% or some such. The 0.2% may be a little sand or dust, what not - the bag doesn't say it but it is what I'd assume.

Thank you much to you and Friller for discussing Murray cod and salt in my thread, I really appreciate the teachings.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I used the Morton brand before for short term baths, as I had tried to explain above. I don't plan to salt the tanks in which I plan to keep the murray cod but if a sickness or an obvious reason arises, we might cross this bridge when or if we get there. Our raw well water is light brackish 1200ppm, half salinity, half hardness, and might be considered, if needed.

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Update: ponde my Murray is doing great. He is growing. Steadily eating Massivore and cut fish/shrimp. As for the salt, I still haven’t added any. The reason being I have created an environment that I believe is very low stress for him. The lights aren’t really on all that much, I don’t pas by his tank where he resides under his perch much, doing much of my maintenance while keeping him undisturbed. The water is hard. Hopefully this proves to be enough.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store