Need a little help!

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hey y’all!

My Tank has had some fungal problems recently, which I’m guessing is due to (maybe?) some ammonia spikes. One of the most prevalent issues is this skirt tetra right here. There’s a few black dots here or there on one or two other skirt tetras, but this dude’s got it bad.

A few of my serpaes have some white stuff on them too, but none awful. I’ve lost three other serpaes to the white fungus though, I haven’t been able to help them. Does anyone have any suggestions?? What should I medicate with? Stuff I’m using doesn’t seem to be working.240E0952-2B27-4B2C-8084-0E771555CB4B.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It almost looks like worms hanging off.
Could you try to get some more pics?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Looks like ammonia burn to me. The slime coat has been damaged & fungus is likely consuming dead tissue.
Be a good idea to up the weekly water change volume to 50% & maybe use Microbe Lift Artemiss to combat the fungus issue.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
I’ll try to get some better ones when I get home. I thought so too, but I took a closer look and it seems more solid and non-moving. It spreads and gets bigger in some places, so I’m not ruling out worms, but I don’t think it’s a big possibility

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Looks like ammonia burn to me. The slime coat has been damaged & fungus is likely consuming dead tissue.
Be a good idea to up the weekly water change volume to 50% & maybe use Microbe Lift Artemiss to combat the fungus issue.
That’s what I thought. Thank you, is Microbe lift reliable? Just want to make sure I dont get a dud medication again

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That is weird. I agree what's shown in a combination situation. Some unidentified inh=juriues, which have developed secondary infections, of fungal-bacterial types.
What is weird is that the lesions are in places, in addition to those in expected places such as the fish body, are also in places such as the white of the tail fin (distal portion). There is no flesh there.
I don't know what it is but it were me I would:
- If possible place fish in smaller tank, with no substratum, or consider removing substratum. (easier to keep clean if bare).
- Increase water changes to 30-50 every other day. Make sure water characteristics always constant, temp, pH.
- Increase aireation / flow in the tank
- Add regular salt, which would attack secondary infections
- Observe for improvement/not.
I am not certain this is from ammonia burns. That still leaves the question of, Why ammonia burns?, whats happening with the filtration in this tank ? It sounded like an established tank, thus no ammonia burns. That's what needs to be solved. How are the other fish? Be interesting to see some of the lesions?

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
That is weird. I agree what's shown in a combination situation. Some unidentified inh=juriues, which have developed secondary infections, of fungal-bacterial types.
What is weird is that the lesions are in places, in addition to those in expected places such as the fish body, are also in places such as the white of the tail fin (distal portion). There is no flesh there.
I don't know what it is but it were me I would:
- If possible place fish in smaller tank, with no substratum, or consider removing substratum. (easier to keep clean if bare).
- Increase water changes to 30-50 every other day. Make sure water characteristics always constant, temp, pH.
- Increase aireation / flow in the tank
- Add regular salt, which would attack secondary infections
- Observe for improvement/not.
I am not certain this is from ammonia burns. That still leaves the question of, Why ammonia burns?, whats happening with the filtration in this tank ? It sounded like an established tank, thus no ammonia burns. That's what needs to be solved. How are the other fish? Be interesting to see some of the lesions?
I know, it’s a weird infection. I’ve been using API salt, and dosing after each water change. I have an aqueon filter, a sponge filter and an airstone running in the tank. Temperature is somewhat consisted, usually ranging from 77-80 (heat in MA is awful at the moment, probably not helping)

I’ve been using salt for a week or so now, and nothing has gotten too worse, but no improvements. What else should I do? I know what we changes help, but other than that I’m a little lost. It’s really only effecting the tetras, all my invert., bottom feeder fishes and my betta are all good. This was my first tank, and as an uneducated person I never fishless cycled it. The parameters are a lot better now, but never picture perfect.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Here are some more pics.

Head on shot. You can see more of the fungus(?) covering the skirts lips. If you look to the bottom left, you can see some of the white fungus that’s mildlyaffecting
B691BB28-E530-42E4-A483-213E54AE3D71.jpeg

Better side view. The stuffs got him good, it’s at the base of one of his pectorals, crossing his lip, and splotches over the right side of him. He has some on the left, but not as severe.
06059CC4-890E-4882-BDD7-7D1ABB11E89E.jpeg

My hypothesis is that since I never cycled the tank since I was a newbie, maybe it’s starting to cycle itself now? It’s been set up for a bit over a year, and a few months ago I loved it from the finished basement to the first floor of my house. I haven’t been able to check parameters too recently as I’ve been cycling a 90 gallon tank and many of my test tubes have broken, and due to the fact that I recently was sent to the ER and am in a knee brace, prohibiting me from moving from my finished basement 90g test tubes to my first floor.

I have been keeping up with weekly water changes. Every now in then they’re a day or two off, but I always get them done. Tomorrow I can get some parameters of this tank and ask for help from there.

Just want my babies to be happy and healthy, and I’ll do whatever I can do achieve that

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I doubt the tank isn’t cycled yet, a year should be more than enough time to cycle. The cycle will occur with or without fish, but is potentially dangerous if you do it with fish.
Looking at it again, I do agree that that looks like peeling flesh/mucus that has gotten some bacteria or fungus over it.
API Salt won’t really do much for fungus, or anything short of ich, if that.
I’m not entirely sure if what you have is fungal, or bacterial. Whatever it is will be different to treat.
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: MetalRavioli

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
I doubt the tank isn’t cycled yet, a year should be more than enough time to cycle. The cycle will occur with or without fish, but is potentially dangerous if you do it with fish.
Looking at it again, I do agree that that looks like peeling flesh/mucus that has gotten some bacteria or fungus over it.
API Salt won’t really do much for fungus, or anything short of ich, if that.
I’m not entirely sure if what you have is fungal, or bacterial. Whatever it is will be different to treat.
kno4te kno4te
Do you have any suggestions? I don’t want it to spread, and I certainly don’t want to lose anyone. I’m going to do a 50% water change today, but don’t have any medications to help the poor lad. Would you recommend any? Or know anyone who might be able to recommend some?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store