Ornate pim, Pimelodus ornatus, two in 240 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice cats. I added my 3 ornates to the ray tank a couple months ago. Two are 4" and the third is now pushing 6". Purchased them last summer from the Divers Den at Live Aquaria. Free shipping, so they were $33 each.
I have 4 pictus in the same tank that have been there for a few years. They used to squabble a bit amongst themselves, and each one had its own area in the tank. Now that the ornates are in the tank, all 7 cats seem to hang out together under the one piece of drift wood (which they share with the rays). The three ornates are always together, and the pictus now hang close by with them. I find the ornates are a bit more skittish than the pictus.
That has a lot of commonality in my two tanks. In one tank there are 27 pictus plus 6 ornatus, in the other 6 + 6. Mine indeed are
-- tighter than pictus and
-- a bit more skittish too and
-- the pictus associate with the ornatus.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Been over a year now... Last year, the second half of 2018, I've been having problems in all my tanks with allegedly some type of columnaris, which, among other fish, wiped out 6 out of 12 of the ornates over the period of 6 months or so. Most or all of them developed badly swollen eyes and unbalanced swimming before perishing.

The remaining 6-pack has been stable now for half a year and doing well with some old and some new tank mates in their 240 gal. They grow very slow and are probably around 6"-8" now:

Aqua_Bankie

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Good to see a update on the Ornates, That’s unfortunate about the 6 that perished and the other fish , The remaining 6 however look good.

I like the Lima’s as tankmates for the Ornates, I’m going to implement that combination myself.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's strange how one or two of these now look like 12" or bigger while the rest are so clearly smaller.

Anyhow, one more has called it quits, similar symptoms, swollen eyes, discombobulated swimming for a couple of weeks. I again and again suspect the supposed columnaris. About 8"-9". So we are down to 5.

100_8589.JPG

Akeno071

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2015
Do you think adding more pictus cats to my set of 3 would stop the weird territorial behaviour that they display?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Do you think adding more pictus cats to my set of 3 would stop the weird territorial behaviour that they display?
The more Pimelodus pictus you have in your tank, the more naturally and relaxed and rewarding they behave. Plus good amount of cover matters to them as well as dim light.

But this thread is about Pimelodus ornatus, a different fish, and I like my threads be clean and on topic. Make your own thread on your pictus, please, and come back to it with updates, visuals, and questions every now and then. That would serve best you and others. Or I have a thread on our 27-strong pictus gang too...

Aqua_Bankie

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
sorry for your loss Victor

interesting about a couple growing bigger , my 5 one has easily outgrown the rest and I was wondering if its the difference in gender , the biggest of mine is about 8" the rest 6" only 6 months separate the purchase date of the largest to the smallest, or could it be a dominance alpha style thing , thou mine are all peaceful with each other.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
12" sound like some impressive ornatus would love some pics. My resident ornatus has gone from around 7" to around 9" in the year and a half I've had it. Eats like as hog but has kept a slender profile vs. some other fat ornatus ive seen.

I had always thought the growth rate was due to gender, as someone told me the females get larger and bulkier while the males stay slim. Couldnt tell you if that is a certainty though.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A video update.

We have recently lost another ornatus at 10" to all the same symptoms as described above for others - it's as if their brain slowly dies over weeks or months. IDK what bug causes this grief. Anyhow, I was off in the count by one fish. We had 6 before this last loss and now indeed have 5 left.

Here are them and their tankmates:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store