Pls help

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
I have a 300l cichlid tank..I was advised to change my conditioner to seachem prime..it says 1 caps 29pl so I put in one and a half cap..water is turning brownish after a couple of days...fish are rubbing on rocks and darting about..I did water tests and nitrate and nitrites are p hardness 180 pH is 7.0 chlorines 0..any ideas..I did almost a full change of water when I changed over..I'm worried as I don't want to lose any of my fish 😔..I'm a beginner and am learning so any advice will be appreciated thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
I have a 300l cichlid tank..I was advised to change my conditioner to seachem prime..it says 1 caps 29pl so I put in one and a half cap..water is turning brownish after a couple of days...fish are rubbing on rocks and darting about..I did water tests and nitrate and nitrites are p hardness 180 pH is 7.0 chlorines 0..any ideas..I did almost a full change of water when I changed over..I'm worried as I don't want to lose any of my fish 😔..I'm a beginner and am learning so any advice will be appreciated thanks
Sorry that's ment to say 1 caps 200l

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hi, I can't say for sure what's happening, but I imagine when you say your nitrates and nitrites are p you mean 0. If that's accurate it sounds like your tank may not be fully cycled as you should have some readings for nitrate as ammonia is converted. Which leads to another thing I think you should test for which is ammonia. As for your hardness I think based on the number you're referring to ppm? Without knowing what kind of fish you have it's hard to tell if it's optimal for them. It sounds fine but again I'm not even sure what you mean such as if it's GH in ppm etc. A 7.0 ph iis neutral and should be fine for most fish.

I can only guess the tank isn't cycled or is in a mini-cycle possibly caused by the massive water change upsetting the bacterial balance. The fact that the fish are flicking/flashing(rubbing on rocks, darting about) would seem to indicate a water quality issue or possibly a parasite or disease. Something is affecting their slimecoat or skin that causes them to flicking/flashing in an attempt to relieve the irritation. Are your fish showing any other symptoms of stress? Listlessness or lethargy? Hanging out at the surface? Reddening of the gills? Etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store