Red Belly Piranha Babies

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looking good! Cool to see color already developing. They’re almost cute when they’re small…
Any plans to get them their own tank, or are the guppies and cons there to eventually become lunch?

Campexotic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2022
www.themfcamp.com
Looking good! Cool to see color already developing. They’re almost cute when they’re small…
Any plans to get them their own tank, or are the guppies and cons there to eventually become lunch?
Yes they should be lunch! I want to breed convicts for feeders. Eventually I’ll move the Ps to their own tank and use the 55 for the convicts.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes they should be lunch! I want to breed convicts for feeders. Eventually I’ll move the Ps to their own tank and use the 55 for the convicts.
Welcome aboard
I suggest separate the Convict's from the Redbelly Piranha asap. Either the Convict's will kill some of the baby Redbelly or if a Convict gets bitten it will be over. Piranha even that small have a mouth full of sharp teeth. Also you may lose a couple of Redbelly Piranha to cannibalism.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome aboard
I suggest separate the Convict's from the Redbelly Piranha asap. Either the Convict's will kill some of the baby Redbelly or if a Convict gets bitten it will be over. Piranha even that small have a mouth full of sharp teeth. Also you may lose a couple of Redbelly Piranha to cannibalism.
Good point on the cons bullying the p’s. I didn’t even think of that but you are right. At this size a con can easily stress out a piranha (I’ve even read stories of them pinning shoals of adults).
And of course, around 2.5-3 inches piranhas really begin to learn how to use their teeth, which gives you a month or two judging by the size of these guys.

Reactions: tlindsey

Campexotic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2022
www.themfcamp.com
In hindsight I probably could have waited but so far everyone has been somewhat chill. In a little bit of time the Ps have already started to size up to the convicts. In the past I’ve lost some to cannibalism but this time it’s so much other stuff, I’m curious if that’ll still happen. I have noticed them picking at the corydoras. Sometimes I’ll catch them stalking one. They also like ghost shrimp - I see the evidence every morning. Ha

Campexotic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2022
www.themfcamp.com
My tank is by my bed so I keep an eye out on them. So far no new signs of tail nipping on fins. They only wanna eat flakes though. The smallest cichlid pellets are too big. They don’t really like blood worms or brine shrimp. Actual piece of shrimp a little. Gonna try some diced tilapia. Maybe a cricket ha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store