Upcoming Movies and TV shows

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I saw a trailer for an upcoming A24 flick called “Civil War” with the actor who played Ron on Parks and Recreation. It looks really good!

I’ve been impressed with A24 since Hereditary and Midsommar - which were both great.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm currently just going into season 2 of The Umbrella Academy on Netflix; maybe not fantastic but nevertheless very imaginative and watchable. I'm a sucker for a good time-travel story, and by the time you add into it a global apocalypse storyline, mix in some stuff about the mundane human problems faced by super-enabled human mutants, blend in a scary Big-Brother-esque temporal agency sending out brutal cops/assassins to maintain the integrity of time and then sprinkle on a wee touch of bird-watching...well, how can you go wrong? I like it!

We are also greedily consuming each new episode of the second season of Reacher. Lots of action, well written dialogue, generally believable characters, tons of flashbacks used to explain and clarify the motivations of the characters in the present, and one of my all-time favourite fictional heroes. Alan Ritchson pulls this role off well; I have a couple friends who are constantly comparing it to the book series (which I also love), but like any novel adapted into a movie, it must be watched and judged as its own entity. Constantly nit-picking about how "that's different than the book!" is pointless and silly...although I think the literary Reacher and the cinematic version are pretty well-aligned. The worst thing about this series...is being forced to wait a week for each episode. :)

Finally, we just watched Rogue Moon, a pretty decent space-opera. Take a female version of Clint Eastwood, put her into a spaceship instead of on a horse, set it on some assorted distant planets instead of the American West, throw in some evil Space Nazis and other assorted baddies including a very hate-able villain, and then sit back and enjoy. It's got a sort of gritty Star Wars kind of vibe. No thinking required; perfect! There's a second part due to come out next year, but this is a perfectly satisfying stand-alone.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I saw a trailer for an upcoming A24 flick called “Civil War” with the actor who played Ron on Parks and Recreation. It looks really good!

I’ve been impressed with A24 since Hereditary and Midsommar - which were both great.
Yep,looking forward to that one too....what's A24?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Just finished watching one of my all time favourite films. I watch it this time every year. It's usually on TV at some point over Christmas, but if it isn't I have it on DVD just in case.

It's an absolute classic from the mid 80's about a poor guy trying to get home for thanksgiving but he gets lumbered with an unwanted travel partner. Everything that can go wrong, does!

Anybody like to guess what this movie is?

Reactions: tlindsey

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just finished watching one of my all time favourite films. I watch it this time every year. It's usually on TV at some point over Christmas, but if it isn't I have it on DVD just in case.

It's an absolute classic from the mid 80's about a poor guy trying to get home for thanksgiving but he gets lumbered with an unwanted travel partner. Everything that can go wrong, does!

Anybody like to guess what this movie is?
I don’t remember the name, but is John Candy in the film? If so, we always used to watch that when I was younger - hilarious!

Reactions: esoxlucius

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sounds like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles to me.

Though you never know, it could be the Christmas classic Die Hard.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I don’t remember the name, but is John Candy in the film? If so, we always used to watch that when I was younger - hilarious!
Deadeye Deadeye got it..Planes, trains and automobiles.

And yes, John Candy plays the hapless Del Griffith, who latches on to poor Neil Page, played by the brilliant Steve Martin.

Great movie.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Deadeye Deadeye got it..Planes, trains and automobiles.

And yes, John Candy plays the hapless Del Griffith, who latches on to poor Neil Page, played by the brilliant Steve Martin.

Great movie.
One of my favourite holiday movies!

But...the one that my wife and I simply must watch each Christmas without fail is...National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I just never tire of that flick.

The scene in which the squirrel comes rocketing out of the Christmas tree and sends the entire house into a panic is priceless. And the understated delivery of lines by Chevy Chase...perfection. :)

• Haha
Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
is...National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
I've never seen it. I've just looked it up and apparently the "national lampoon vacation" movies are a bit of a franchise. There are seven in total from 1983 to 2015. Your Christmas one is third in the list dating back to 1989.

Are they all interlinked, meaning do you need to watch them all in order to get the gist of them, or are they all stand alone unrelated films?

Reactions: Caperguy99
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store