Upcoming project: Creativity, Form and Function.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
But...

The mesh is a winner! by inserting it at the bottom it will increase water contact with the media even more. The mesh is stiff and you can shape it! Holes will be drilled in upper portion.

plan 1.jpg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Interesting approach, sort of a self-contained UGF. I know you plan to fill it with media, but maybe you could slip a foam ring or small sponge filter around the pipe to fit right over the vase opening, act as an easily removable prefilter. Is that what the blue foam is for?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Interesting approach, sort of a self-contained UGF. I know you plan to fill it with media, but maybe you could slip a foam ring or small sponge filter around the pipe to fit right over the vase opening, act as an easily removable prefilter. Is that what the blue foam is for?
Yeah the plan was that, sandwiched with the black foam. I was just going to enlarge the existing holes and just push them over the media like a hat. Things are kind of stalled right now. I haven't gotten the other containers yet. And I discovered my drill bit set is MIA. I forgot pvc needs metal hss bits...the spade hole cutters I had did nothing! I may as well have tried to cut diamond with a butter knife. Didn't even make a notch. New bits incoming.

I also will post in the diy thread. I've made some cheesy easy caves for small fish.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Ok...things are moving along.

Got the other containers last night! Ups evening drop. Can make final decision on which set.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Jexnell

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Finalizing diagram. I made a revision with the mesh. The smaller pieces (11 x 13) will wrap the bottom like a basket to contain the lava rock.

a3.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Side by side comparison.The recycled glass due to its density would displace considerably more water even though the mass is similar to the blue piece. Being ceramic with mico holes makes the blue vase far less dense. Plus the design of the blue piece blends into the 225 background to a tee.

a4.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
There is no need to drill the pipe now. I'm using longer mesh (20 x 13) so I can now have the mesh extend further. I'll only need 5 or 6 inches of pipe to stabilize the powerhead. Once the media is packed in everything will be in place.

This is thick Polyethylene plastic canvas that can be shaped and bent like metal, semi rigid. Normally used for embroidery and easily cut with scissors.

Overall cost for each filter (minus used media) about 75 bucks each. The powerheads were the most expensive component. Will be showing a dummy mock up soon.

pipes.jpg

Last edited:

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Very interesting to watch! Years ago I used some tall glass vases, plain cylinder style, with holes drilled in several places to house some plants in my severum tank without them getting chomped. It was fun for awhile but detritus would eventually buildup in the vaes with difficult cleaning.

Reactions: FINWIN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store