What's this on the side of the vampire tetra?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Kinda looks like a tooth… i know these guys shed them fairly often. Might have ingested one of its own. If thats the case, gotta pull it through with tweezers and treat with the betadine as suggested before. And yes, just regular betadine u can find at the drug store. Just gotta hold the guy down and dab or squirt some on em. Might take a few treatments to keep it clean. He should heal up quick once thats removed tho.
Interesting you say that because it looks like it's top front tooth is missing!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Interesting you say that because it looks like it's top front tooth is missing!
Tough one healing the stomach lining… gotta try tho. Fish looks like hes in good condition. If you can keep him eating during the process id say u have a good shot at recovery.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Tough one healing the stomach lining… gotta try tho. Fish looks like hes in good condition. If you can keep him eating during the process id say u have a good shot at recovery.
Do you know if this is the same product?
When I do the search for your medication this one is also popping up.

1000030627.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Do you know if this is the same product?
When I do the search for your medication this one is also popping up.

View attachment 1539451
I dont believe its the same, but i dont know for sure… i was instructed to use betadine for open wounds here yrs ago and have done so with success. Just pure betadine tho. Found mine at CVS. I wouldn’t want to recommend something i havent used.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Yeah true... definitely will try
[/QUOTE

I ended up finding the re
I dont believe its the same, but i dont know for sure… i was instructed to use betadine for open wounds here yrs ago and have done so with success. Just pure betadine tho. Found mine at CVS. I wouldn’t want to recommend something i havent used.
I found what you recommended (spray).

It was extremely difficult holding it down and and using the tweezers pulling out the white stuff. Whatever it was it was soft and really minimal. I was expecting a tooth but didn't feel like it.

I tried to move quick because holding it down was difficult. I think I made the grave mistake of holding it too firmly on the potty cover(for dog urine) which was an absolute huge mistake. It basically stuck to its scales and when I put the fish back in the water some scales came off. Idiot mistake hurts my stomach thinking of It. I should have put a large plastic bag on the floor that it wouldn't adhere to.

Anyways I sprayed twice and put it back in the water.

I should have asked how long I could have left it out of water once I sprayed the meds. Any advice there? Also when should I spray again? Thanks so much. Definitely want to do everything to save it.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I found what you recommended (spray).

It was extremely difficult holding it down and and using the tweezers pulling out the white stuff. Whatever it was it was soft and really minimal. I was expecting a tooth but didn't feel like it.

I tried to move quick because holding it down was difficult. I think I made the grave mistake of holding it too firmly on the potty cover(for dog urine) which was an absolute huge mistake. It basically stuck to its scales and when I put the fish back in the water some scales came off. Idiot mistake hurts my stomach thinking of It. I should have put a large plastic bag on the floor that it wouldn't adhere to.

Anyways I sprayed twice and put it back in the water.

I should have asked how long I could have left it out of water once I sprayed the meds. Any advice there? Also when should I spray again? Thanks so much. Definitely want to do everything to save it.
Live and learn as always… im no expert in these situations, hoping others chime in to share advice. Good news and bad news it wasn’t a tooth. Hopeful now theres no stomach puncture. You may need to follow up with parasite meds. Personally at this point id stop for a bit and just let the fish try and recover some before anything else. If it eats in the next few days maybe move forward with some kind of meds for the water. Ive removed anchor worms off fish before, betadine the wound then treated the water with dimilin.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Live and learn as always… im no expert in these situations, hoping others chime in to share advice. Good news and bad news it wasn’t a tooth. Hopeful now theres no stomach puncture. You may need to follow up with parasite meds. Personally at this point id stop for a bit and just let the fish try and recover some before anything else. If it eats in the next few days maybe move forward with some kind of meds for the water. Ive removed anchor worms off fish before, betadine the wound then treated the water with dimilin.
Exactly live and learn and I appreciate your input. Any recommendations on parasite meds?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Exactly live and learn and I appreciate your input. Any recommendations on parasite meds?
Dimilin has worked for me with anchor worms. I use prazi/metro soaked in food for general treatments of wild caught fish. All 3 are pretty mild treatments. I know others know alot more than myself in this area tho. Not sure what ur guy may have specifically. Dont want to just start throwing the gauntlet at em yet. Id ride it out a bit and focus on feeding to boost the initial recovery. Hopefully others can offer some better advice 💀🤙

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store