Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
View attachment 1489983
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworm_eel
May I introduce you to the world of Chaudhuriidae? Also known as the earthworm or spineless eels. They are incredibly rare. However, they are very similar (and related) to spiny eels. I do not believe they've ever been recorded at 3" or more. That being said, they are fairly obscure. I'd say they would make good substitutes for even the smallest of spiny eels.

https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/product/garo-khajuriai/
You can buy one species here, but don't rely on them being in stock.
also for some synbranchus species....

Reactions: xenacanth9

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Finally I see the thread actually making sense now..
Assuming you are referring to Jexnell Jexnell and his Convict/Amphilophus duo? Definitely one of the few comparisons in this thread that seems to show some significant non-imaginary similarities.

How about this one: if you haven't the room for an actual Jelly Cat (Lophiosilurus apurensis), how about one of the Batrochoglanis cats? A friend sent me some pics of one he recently acquired, and the overall form, colouration, behaviour (and appetite!) are so striking it's almost spooky...but this one only grows to about 8 inches instead of 2-feet-plus. Same beady-eyed squint, same evil smile, same svelte figure...a peaceful, fairly inactive little monster which eats anything that will fit into its mouth, and even a few things that can't. My buddy says that he is working on training the little guy to take food from his fingers at the surface, which can probably be done without drenching the floor and terrifying unsuspecting onlookers as often happens with the real thing.

Personally, I would miss all that drama and entertainment, but if you keep your fish in a finished part of the house and prefer all the water to remain in the tank, I suppose it might be considered a good thing...:)

Last edited:

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Is this too much of a stretch ?. I like to think of my Convict as a mini Midas. He might not be a glass banger but he definitely has an attitude. Especially if you don’t drop in his pellets fast enough.

Con Solo my Convict
A2768E23-5BA9-41A0-BA7D-E6BED9FB2A81.jpeg
And a very cool Barred Midas from Google.

F4C298EA-29B7-4507-97C3-09906D3E8077.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store