75 Gallon - New Stocking - Opinions Welcome!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Had an issue and lost my fish for the most part. I’m going to give it a bit to make sure everything is good, but I believe it’s headed in that direction now. Going to give it a couple of weeks to be safe at least.

Wanted to start reading about stocking options now though.

Got back from a quick trip and lost a Green Terror, Featherfin catfish, 2 Firemouths, and 1 Giant Danio.

I have one Firemouth left that my neighbor who has a few more will take and 4 Giant Danios. Firemouth do better in groups…

I’m torn on to do another community style SA tank, try an Oscar as a solo fish with maybe a catfish or Bbirchir, or try to get a pair of JD’s or Green Terrors (or some other smaller than Oscar type larger SA pair).

Any ideas or opinions?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Get a group of 6 or more young, under an inch, Amatitlania. Any of the species would work. A group of live barer, Plattys, Swordtails. And lastly some Cory cats.
Have plenty of rockwork for both the Amatitlania and Cory cats. Have good sight breaks via plants etc and soon you will have your own underwater jungle like this.20230512_192133.jpg20230408_162251.jpg20230407_201225.jpg
This is just a 40b. First was just two Honduran Red Points. Soon enough I had four breeding pairs. Second go was a pair of Pink Convicts, sadly the male jumped out.
Every six months or so I had to thin out the plants, due to it being so overgrown.
20230505_120649.jpg20230505_140959.jpg
For reference the mat is my shower curtain folded in half. Yes that's right I pulled out five to six foot long Vals!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
I’ll add this, if an Oscar outgrew the tank I’d upgrade to a 6 foot tank.

I do like the 75 though so plan to stick with what would work in there.

I’m definitely a fan of SA/CA cichlids. Open to suggestions! I like aggressive fish, don’t need a ton of different fish. Just colorful, aggressive, personality, and “large-ish.”

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Get a group of 6 or more young, under an inch, Amatitlania. Any of the species would work. A group of live barer, Plattys, Swordtails. And lastly some Cory cats.
Have plenty of rockwork for both the Amatitlania and Cory cats. Have good sight breaks via plants etc and soon you will have your own underwater jungle like this.View attachment 1541847View attachment 1541848View attachment 1541849
This is just a 40b. First was just two Honduran Red Points. Soon enough I had four breeding pairs. Second go was a pair of Pink Convicts, sadly the male jumped out.
Every six months or so I had to thin out the plants, due to it being so overgrown.
View attachment 1541850View attachment 1541851
For reference the mat is my shower curtain folded in half. Yes that's right I pulled out five to six foot long Vals!
This is super cool and I can appreciate the work and time put into it. Just not my style, I like big flashy fish and clean/sterile looking environment. Appreciate the reply though and your tank looks awesome!!

Reactions: Jexnell

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
First and foremost, so sorry to hear about the loss of those fish. I was really enjoying following along with your GT thread especially.

+1 on the Amatitlania genus. Closing in on two years since getting my male convict, and before introducing a female a few months back he essentially had an entire 75 to himself. Extremely outgoing, recognizes me when I walk in the room, begs for food constantly. I like to think of my male con as my own personal mini Amphilophus, since I don't have the necessary space for a real Amph LOL. Now as a pair, they're more inclined to do their own thing but still extremely fun to have around. I'm very much still a novice hobbyist, so having an easy to keep fish is worth considering in my opinion.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Had an issue and lost my fish for the most part. I’m going to give it a bit to make sure everything is good, but I believe it’s headed in that direction now. Going to give it a couple of weeks to be safe at least.

Wanted to start reading about stocking options now though.

Got back from a quick trip and lost a Green Terror, Featherfin catfish, 2 Firemouths, and 1 Giant Danio.

I have one Firemouth left that my neighbor who has a few more will take and 4 Giant Danios. Firemouth do better in groups…

I’m torn on to do another community style SA tank, try an Oscar as a solo fish with maybe a catfish or Bbirchir, or try to get a pair of JD’s or Green Terrors (or some other smaller than Oscar type larger SA pair).

Any ideas or opinions?
I’d get another GT since you liked it. Or if you want to completely start over, what about Africans?

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
I’d get another GT since you liked it. Or if you want to completely start over, what about Africans?
Yeah I am definitely leaning towards that!

I thought about Africans, I think the school of colorful fish and the feeding frenzies are neat. Wouldn’t I need to change my substrate though to keep the PH higher?

But I really like the big size, the personality, the different shapes and habits of the SA/CA cichlids better for some reason. They’re just more engaging to me.

I think I’m leaning towards a center-piece fish or maybe a pair plus another catfish or something and some dithers still. Maybe a of Convicts would be cool?

Or one big male Green Terror plus catfish and dithers again? Or a JD similar setup?

I’ll keep reading, but keep the suggestions coming!

Any large, (10 inch ish when adult) colorful, mean, SA or CA I haven’t mentioned? I know there’s some I don’t know about lol!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Have plenty of rockwork for both the Amatitlania and Cory cats. Have good sight breaks via plants etc and soon you will have your own underwater jungle like this.View attachment 1541847View attachment 1541848View attachment 1541849
View attachment 1541850View attachment 1541851
This is super cool and I can appreciate the work and time put into it. Just not my style, I like big flashy fish and clean/sterile looking environment. Appreciate the reply though and your tank looks awesome!!
I also didn’t know that meant Convicts, so my fault there lol! I do like the big flashy colors and size of a GT but am reading more about Convicts.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Personally I'd go with a group of firemouths and maybe a couple severums. you could still have some sort of catfish too, but that would be active and engaging, though not as aggressive as you may wish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store