My silver arowana in 4500 gal

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Puerto Rican frogs, cuban anoles, Carolina roaches & pan-tropical house gecko are a mainstay to arowana grow-out, and good excuse to roam the yard with flashlight after supper. I consider it a re-wilding exercise & part of my conservationists' duties & have found that by the time a wee aro is getting a little size, the balance of my yard has swung back to native species - somewhat quieter, but much prettier & more diverse. Maybe soon time for a next baby aro cohort & new/better flashlight ;)

PS: a hungry botia pack on a drown gecko is quite yucky to watch... bag-o-bones within a few minutes, as they can't deal with skin.
PSS: thoughts on feeding cracked yard-snails (invasive Cuban)? Nobody seems to like them, not even the eels & loaches. Apparently they're good with garlic butter... :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sounds like fun!

PSS: thoughts on feeding cracked yard-snails (invasive Cuban)? Nobody seems to like them, not even the eels & loaches...
No clue. If a 30 minute google reading is not fruitful, maybe the query for a wider audience?

Reactions: andyroo

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you. We have been aiming and working towards opening as a small DIY Public Aquarium and Rescue. The feed is around $300 a month so far (buying wholesale). The killer is the electricity at $1500 a month - can't buy wholesale this one...

Reactions: RD.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Flap, the only male, is the same 3 feet he has been for the past several years. Looks like he will stay that size and never reach the size of late Alf and late Fre of 40"-42". The three females Hsieha, Ylana, and Bikerina have grown some, look between 2.5 and 3 feet.

Reactions: Tony A.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Apr 2016 (back then they were in the jumbo / more aggressive 4500 gal):

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Feeding Hsieha by hand. She's got double drop-eye, mis-hits her feed often..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store