Red Tail Catfish tank size

whalp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2024
I have a go ahead to planning out a tank for my basement. Originally wasnt going to go for this plan but now since I have a green light and an uncomfortable urge to want this fish. I want to know if these dimensions would work for a single or double RTC: LxWxH > 16'x5'x4' I am thinking of going the extra bit and making it a 20ft L instead but same WxH.
I plan on this being a low stock Albino/white/silver tank, so tank mates would be:
3 to 1 Albino Aros to Albino RB Pacus
OR
3 to 1 Albino RB Pacus to Albino Aro
3 Axanthic Monos OR 3 Albino ID Sharks
And the RTC would be a Phantom btw
Possibly a Platnium Florida Gar as well, but holding on that due to size and the aro.
Sorry if this is asked too many times and sorry if I am posting alot of ideas for the future. I only ask this because people always recommend a gallon size but never footprint which is more important and ideal.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a go ahead to planning out a tank for my basement. Originally wasnt going to go for this plan but now since I have a green light and an uncomfortable urge to want this fish. I want to know if these dimensions would work for a single or double RTC: LxWxH > 16'x5'x4' I am thinking of going the extra bit and making it a 20ft L instead but same WxH.
I plan on this being a low stock Albino/white/silver tank, so tank mates would be:
3 to 1 Albino Aros to Albino RB Pacus
OR
3 to 1 Albino RB Pacus to Albino Aro
3 Axanthic Monos OR 3 Albino ID Sharks
And the RTC would be a Phantom btw
Possibly a Platnium Florida Gar as well, but holding on that due to size and the aro.
Sorry if this is asked too many times and sorry if I am posting alot of ideas for the future. I only ask this because people always recommend a gallon size but never footprint which is more important and ideal.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We don't know how big phantom RTCs grow, at least I don't. They are too new. I wouldn't expect them to grow to the max sizes of normal RTCs of 4 feet because the phantoms are damaged goods so to speak. So, I'd say go ahead. I'd probably even say this for a regular RTC too because it takes them a long time to reach over 3feet, in which time your hobby circumstances will probably change, hopefully for the better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store