Where can I get a freshwater stingray in Ontario, Canada?

679x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2017
Wasnt sure where to post this, I figured not in the marketplace section since I'm not actually buying anything yet.

Anyway, I'm new here. I've thought about the idea of getting a large tank for a while, but never thought I could do it until recently, which is also when I became interested in keeping freshwater stingrays. So, I thought why don't I get a big tank with stingrays in it???

I live near Toronto, Canada, and before I commit to getting a massive tank, I would like to make sure that I can actually find a place to purchase a ray. Which is why I'm posting this thread.

Where can I get a freshwater stingray? Is there a place that will ship rays in Canada? Are there any stores in my area that sell freshwater rays?

Thanks in advance

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If there's something out of the ordinary that you want I can point you to the right people if you just want the common rays bd, Leo, marble, motoro then there are plenty of local places and breeders in the GTA

679x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2017
Thanks for the replies, I went to my nearest LFS today for a few filter supplies and looked at the fish while I was there, didn't expect to see something like a freshwater ray, but whaddaya know, they had some! They were Motoros, I'm assuming those are the most common type, but still, I was surprised to see them there.

If there's something out of the ordinary that you want I can point you to the right people if you just want the common rays bd, Leo, marble, motoro then there are plenty of local places and breeders in the GTA
I'd be very content with just the common rays that you listed. I like 'em all, but I particularly like the black and white ones. I thought they were super expensive though? How much would one cost in the area, e.g. a BD?

Also, what would you consider the minimum tank size to be for something like 2 rays? I guess it would depend on the species -- let's say a BD and a motoro?

I don't know if I can even get a tank big enough to keep rays, I would need to know what I can fit in what size tank. Getting a large tank also depends on whether we rearrange the room that the tank is going in. So I need to know how big it will be. I've seen things like 6x2' minimum, etc. online. What do you think?

Thanks again

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the replies, I went to my nearest LFS today for a few filter supplies and looked at the fish while I was there, didn't expect to see something like a freshwater ray, but whaddaya know, they had some! They were Motoros, I'm assuming those are the most common type, but still, I was surprised to see them there.

I'd be very content with just the common rays that you listed. I like 'em all, but I particularly like the black and white ones. I thought they were super expensive though? How much would one cost in the area, e.g. a BD?

Also, what would you consider the minimum tank size to be for something like 2 rays? I guess it would depend on the species -- let's say a BD and a motoro?

I don't know if I can even get a tank big enough to keep rays, I would need to know what I can fit in what size tank. Getting a large tank also depends on whether we rearrange the room that the tank is going in. So I need to know how big it will be. I've seen things like 6x2' minimum, etc. online. What do you think?

Thanks again
I'd say 6x4 and expect $1000 for BD pup

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store