Anybody keep Pumpkinseed and Goldfish together?

bikerider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
I have an outdoor pond that I am considering adding pumpkinseed and maybe comet/shubunkin goldfish too. I love the look of the pumpkin seed. I have another pond that is exclusively goldfish right now. This new pond has no fish yet and I would like to branch out a bit. Do any of you keep pumpkinseed together with goldfish? And if so, how do they get along?

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
i dont see why they wouldn't get along but why not go for a completely native pond especially since you already have a goldfish one there's lots of great fish out there like the missouri longear.

bikerider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
That's a good idea. That Longear is beautiful. I have been looking around at other fish like maybe a white perch or catfish as well. What other native fish do you recommend?

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
how big is the pond gallons and max depth? western dollar is another sunfish that would fit in

yellow bass are pretty cool imo and would work with sunfish

if you didn't do sunfish could do darters and shiners there small so harder to see in a pond but you could have a lot of them

depending on the pond size there's some others i could suggest

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

bikerider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
The new pond without any fish is 125 gallons at about 20 inches deep. The other I have (with Goldfish) is about 700 gallons (24 inch deep stock tank). I really like the look of the sunfish and yellow bass you posted. I think they would show up even if the water was a bit unclear.

bikerider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
yeah there pretty nice looking and very personable great place to get them from is here http://www.zimmermansfish.com/Price.html for yellow bass you will more then likely need to catch them if where you live allows that.
Thank you for the link. :) What do you think of my pond size? I am thinking of keeping 3-4 fish. It will have plenty of plants and some driftwood for a hiding place and maybe a cave.

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
sight breaks are important in a sunfish tank arrange your plants and driftwood with that in mind you could easily keep 4 in the maybe even 6-7 depending on filter and water changes.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Checkout some of the fish for sale at "jonahs aquarium",and most sunfish do well with goldfish,u might also want to add yellowperch and adult golden weather loaches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store