Silver dollars at Fish Story Aquarium and Rescue

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You know how old it was prior? I'd guess no more than 10 wouldn't doubt less though
No, I don't know. It was big already, perhaps around 4.5"-5".

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
No, I don't know. It was big already, perhaps around 4.5"-5".
Sorry for your loss.
Your fish looked healthy, well cared for. It was a male, not-too-old fish. I think something unfortunate happened, not age. Again, a bummer.
I inherited 3 ~6-6.5 inch dollars, known to be 14 years old, from a school. I have had them for 1 year, and they are doing well, courting each other. These fish can live long lives.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Sorry for your loss.
Your fish looked healthy, well cared for. It was a male, not-too-old fish. I think something unfortunate happened, not age. Again, a bummer.
I inherited 3 ~6-6.5 inch dollars, known to be 14 years old, from a school. I have had them for 1 year, and they are doing well, courting each other. These fish can live long lives.
They can live 40-50 years

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They can live 40-50 years
Thank you. Can you please provide support for this statement?

One of the wide-bars has hit a wall or something pretty hard, smashed its snout badly, struggled for a week with what looked like a brain or central nervous system injury as it couldn't swim right, and then perished. I didn't expect that from a silver dollar.

I wonder if a couple dozen of rescue African cichlids are to blame because these have been added recently and have been pestering the SDs a bit, apparently when I am not looking. I actually had to transfer the only surviving common SD to another 240 gal as it looked stressed and its fins were thoroughly tattered.

The 12 red hooks (9 youngsters plus 3 adults from the 4500 gal) and two surviving wide-bars remain in the same 240 gal.

The dead guy grew from 3" to 7"-8" in 8 months with us. I also noted that when they are seriously stressed, their tummy turns bright red and they look strikingly like a red-belly pacu baby.

100_8223.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you. Can you please provide support for this statement?

One of the wide-bars has hit a wall or something pretty hard, smashed its snout badly, struggled for a week with what looked like a brain or central nervous system injury as it couldn't swim right, and then perished. I didn't expect that from a silver dollar.

I wonder if a couple dozen of rescue African cichlids are to blame because these have been added recently and have been pestering the SDs a bit, apparently when I am not looking. I actually had to transfer the only surviving common SD to another 240 gal as it looked stressed and its fins were thoroughly tattered.

The 12 red hooks (9 youngsters plus 3 adults from the 4500 gal) and two surviving wide-bars remain in the same 240 gal.

The dead guy grew from 3" to 7"-8" in 8 months with us. I also noted that when they are seriously stressed, their tummy turns bright red and they look strikingly like a red-belly pacu baby.

View attachment 1332545
Used to be a person I followed who had a very old silver dollar, they stopped updating his age when he was 47 years old, since then I've run into a number of people with s.ds well into their twenties ,40s and 30s,I doubt they live that long in the wild tho, anyone know their wild life expectancy?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Used to be a person I followed who had a very old silver dollar, they stopped updating his age when he was 47 years old, since then I've run into a number of people with s.ds well into their twenties ,40s and 30s,I doubt they live that long in the wild tho, anyone know their wild life expectancy?
Wow! Mind blowing. Thanks, bro. Were they the common SDs or different species? I assume common as all these fancy ones appear to have started to come in not that long ago, 10-20 years ago?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update. Two videos have been shot for other purposes than the SD's but the latter are featured prominently - 14 red hooks, 2 wide bars, one common:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The second of the pair of common SDs has perished. About 7" tip to tip. I have not been paying it much attention and then saw one day that most of its tail fin was missing. Even though it still fed and behaved ok, I rehomed it to another 240 gal but it died there shortly thereafter... I am guessing from the additional stress of the netting and transferring.

I wonder who was biting its tail so badly. Could have red hooks and wide bars done it? Or the relatively newly introduced rescue clown knife? I've caught it giving a quick chase to a SD every now and then.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update video with feeding. The feeding behavior is poor because the fish are not used to having the tank lights on; also placing a camera in the tank makes them uneasy. Still can hear them crunching away the pellets with their molar teeth:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store