Rookie Mistake - Help?

Heck

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Can you describe the behaviors?
Bendy has left this mortal coil.

He was gulping and sluggish, with occasional bouts of flashing.

I did a big water change and put new cartridges in my filters, out of concern that the meds killed him. My other fish are behaving normally. I have not seen lesions on the mystus, but they're so reclusive I can't be positive they have none. The lesions on the remaining pictus seem to be improving.

I have a couple time sensitive horse treatments I have to do, but I'm taking Bendy's wee mortal package with me and will stop in the lab to attempt a postmortem exam in a few minutes.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Bendy has left this mortal coil.

He was gulping and sluggish, with occasional bouts of flashing.

I did a big water change and put new cartridges in my filters, out of concern that the meds killed him. My other fish are behaving normally. I have not seen lesions on the mystus, but they're so reclusive I can't be positive they have none. The lesions on the remaining pictus seem to be improving.

I have a couple time sensitive horse treatments I have to do, but I'm taking Bendy's wee mortal package with me and will stop in the lab to attempt a postmortem exam in a few minutes.
It's doubtful that the medication killed the fish directly but it is possible the medication increased it's stress which led to it's eventual death. Based on your photos in the thread you are using two HOB filters; are the cartridge you replaced your biological media or activated carbon?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Heck

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
It's doubtful that the medication killed the fish directly but it is possible the medication increased it's stress which led to it's eventual death. Based on your photos in the thread you are using two HOB filters; are the cartridge you replaced your biological media or activated carbon?
Yes, two HOBs with Aqueon cartridges.

Heck

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Yes, two HOBs with Aqueon cartridges.
I put new ones in hoping they'd clear out the meds I didn't change out with the water in case the meds were responsible for Bendy's demise. I also added some SAFE Start in case I've damaged my cycle, but my ammonia and nitrites were both 0. I didn't test nitrates because I was in a hurry. I guess shaking the nitrate test wouldn't have been the end of the world, but I didn't do it.

Heck

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Well this is somewhat unpleasant. Who is this unpleasant guy? From Bendy's postmortem skin scraping. There's video too, which I'll upload if anyone wants.

20240502_162101.jpg

20240502_161913.jpg

20240502_160122.jpg

Heck

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
What magnification are you using and can you upload the video here as well?
I didn't write down the magnification on the first 3 or the photos, but it would be 4x or 10x.

The last video here appears to be something different and is 10x from the gills.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
I didn't write down the magnification on the first 3 or the photos, but it would be 4x or 10x.

The last video here appears to be something different and is 10x from the gills.
Based on the magnification level, images 2 & 3 are most likely tomonts filled with theronts but the 1st image is atypical of what i've seen of a early stage tomont. Usually there is an obvious horseshoe-shaped macronucleus from it's trophont stage of life but there already seems to be cell division happening hence the smaller 2 organisms within the cell walls. If you don't recall, those are all terms used to describe the life-stages of ichthyophthirius multifiliis (ich).

It's also possible that this is an entirely different single celled ciliated protozoan but most other parasitic diseases that are circular are also very easy to identify. The video should give me the best idea of what it is.

Heck

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Based on the magnification level, images 2 & 3 are most likely tomonts filled with theronts but the 1st image is atypical of what i've seen of a early stage tomont. Usually there is an obvious horseshoe-shaped macronucleus from it's trophont stage of life but there already seems to be cell division happening hence the smaller 2 organisms within the cell walls. If you don't recall, those are all terms used to describe the life-stages of ichthyophthirius multifiliis (ich).

It's also possible that this is an entirely different single celled ciliated protozoan but most other parasitic diseases that are circular are also very easy to identify. The video should give me the best idea of what it is.
Where did my YouTube links go? Trying again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store