Glass Thickness Calculator (Guide, not Gospel)

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I have re-written the original calculator to fix a few bugs and to add a couple of minor things. It is meant as a guide and is based off of a 3.8 safety factor. The calculator will calculate other safety factors if you wish. As such the 3.8 safety factor rating is for "all glass" enclosures. We most often do not use "all glass" and can therefore fudge the numbers a bit. That being said, this is only a guide. This is not gospel and never will be. If you choose a ower safety factor rating, that is your choice. This tools purpose is to serve as a reference point or starting point guide. Please enjoy.

Rivermud's Glass Thickness Calculator

:D

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I can swap it around a bit to have length tehn width then height as that is the natural way of communicating tank size. if anyone thinks it's necessary anyway

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
ani-mal-lvr;3308380; said:
Nice!!! I like this!
TY

I just editted it to show length width then height. I also modified the instructions to be a little more clear.

Oh, and fair warning, the page may take a little while to load. It is a public shared spreadsheet after all. :D

Also, this is the measurement of the pane size. So if for example you are using multiple windows, please enter the measurement for the window itself, not the measurement of the entire length. If the water goes above the line of the glass you must use the water depth not the height of the glass.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
This tells me I need 25mm when every other calculator I have used has said 16mm. Recommendations for bottom thickness of 109mm at a saftey factor of 3 but yet says to use a 63mm base with a safety factor of 1. I don't think so. I think it needs a lot more refining.:D

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
please post what measurements you are entering. I was modifying the original that the tool is pulled from while you were using the tool so it may have posted incorrect numbers.. or it may be that it's wrong. When I swapped over the length width height sections the calculations on the back end did not auto change as they normally do in excel so I had to fix them, that may have been your error. My apologies.. I was working on it at the time. Pretty sure it was me who broke it for a short time when i swapped it over to LxWxH from HxLxW. Should be working now.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
92"x 45"x 31". I tried again and it has come up different this time showing 19mm for a safety factor of 3. Again, every other calculator I have used has come up with 16mm.
As for the original reading??? but I definitely got it.Seems to be working now though except the columns don't match up as for the inches and mm. You swapped the inches column around but not the millimeters. The length in inches shows up in the width section in millimeters.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
greenterra;3308480; said:
92"x 45"x 31". I tried again and it has come up different this time showing 19mm for a safety factor of 3. Again, every other calculator I have used has come up with 16mm.
As for the original reading??? but I definitely got it.Seems to be working now though except the columns don't match up as for the inches and mm. You swapped the inches column around but not the millimeters. The length in inches shows up in the width section in millimeters.
I fixed the mm column, ty.. i missed that as well. however, I am showing different results than you otherwise.
green.png

The standard glass thickness is rounded up. If you look at the front/sides/back recommendations, it clearly shows 16.80mm. The standard sizes field uses 4mm, 6, 10, 12, 15, 19, 25, and 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1. I skipped 5/8ths as it's not common. Maybe I should make it known that the sides/back/front recommendations field is the most important field for most of the diy'ers here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store