Glass Thickness Calculator (Guide, not Gospel)

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Thanks for helping point out those bugs.. heh the sad part is that i created them myself when i was trying to clean up the fields to be more standard. I think I may remove that standard sizes field. It causes more problems than it's worth. Might replace it with a gallons and litres calc

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I got rid of the standard sizes section to eliminate confusion about sizes. I have added a gallons and liters section instead. I am open to suggestions.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Good work, I like it.
I personally think 3.5 for a safety factor is too high but your calculator is adjustable so I worked off 3 and got good numbers.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Nods, that's why the ability to change the safety factor is there. Glad you like it. Each person is going to have to make up their own mind (for their own peace of mind) regarding the safety factor. The reason 3.8 is the default is that it removes almost all risk barring a defect in the glass or poor glass quality. Chips and pressure points can cause the tank to fail as well. So, for those reasons the default is what it is. Th ability to change it helps others who want to know exactly where they can go with manufacturing. Again, glad you like it.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I've added a reverse calculator to the tool. This will allow you to check the safety factor rating with different thicknesses of glass. For example: If the tool recommends that you use 10.77mm thick glass you can enter 10mm and 12mm to see what the safety factor would be.

newclac.png

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
I think this is a very usable tool, this is looking very sticky to me.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Revised the calculator to reverse calculate for both American Standard and Metric. You can now enter the desired thickness into the reverse calculator and it will tell you the safety factor based on the measurements you provide.

Rivermuds Calculator 1.2

acalc1_2.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store