125 Gallon Stocking Ideas

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hello Everybody,
I'm looking for advice on some stocking ideas for my 125 gallon tank. The only fish I currently have that will for sure be going in this tank is a Sailfin Pleco who's just shy of 12" currently. The filtration I'm planning is two fx6 filters and loads of plants growing out of the top of the tank including monstera and pothos (if anybody has other fun ideas for plants to grow out of the top of the tank with only the roots submerged, I'm open to suggestions). I want a centerpiece fish with tons of personality (Likely a cichlid; I'm thinking Tiger Oscar) and some sort of schooling/shoaling fish. Ideas for this include silver dollars, clown loaches, roseline sharks, or giant danios. I like the silver dollars look, but the ones I've seen lack the high activity I'm looking for. Roselines would be an expensive snack. Clown loaches seem to have a good activity level when kept in larger groups, but sound like they take quite a bit of time for them to reach a size to not be a cichlid snack. The giant danios I've seen are super active but I'm worried they'll eventually also become cichlid snacks.
Other tank mates I've considered are blue acara, geophagus tapajos, geophagus brasiliensus, convict cichlid, tire traack eel, peacock eel, uaru, severum, redfin tiger loach, striped raphael catfish, black ghostknife, and senegal bichir.
Thanks for reading!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello Everybody,
I'm looking for advice on some stocking ideas for my 125 gallon tank. The only fish I currently have that will for sure be going in this tank is a Sailfin Pleco who's just shy of 12" currently. The filtration I'm planning is two fx6 filters and loads of plants growing out of the top of the tank including monstera and pothos (if anybody has other fun ideas for plants to grow out of the top of the tank with only the roots submerged, I'm open to suggestions). I want a centerpiece fish with tons of personality (Likely a cichlid; I'm thinking Tiger Oscar) and some sort of schooling/shoaling fish. Ideas for this include silver dollars, clown loaches, roseline sharks, or giant danios. I like the silver dollars look, but the ones I've seen lack the high activity I'm looking for. Roselines would be an expensive snack. Clown loaches seem to have a good activity level when kept in larger groups, but sound like they take quite a bit of time for them to reach a size to not be a cichlid snack. The giant danios I've seen are super active but I'm worried they'll eventually also become cichlid snacks.
Other tank mates I've considered are blue acara, geophagus tapajos, geophagus brasiliensus, convict cichlid, tire traack eel, peacock eel, uaru, severum, redfin tiger loach, striped raphael catfish, black ghostknife, and senegal bichir.
Thanks for reading!
Welcome Aboard!
I would suggest other species other than a Cichlid with the Oscar. If you could find a nice mid sized Raphael Catfish that would be my choice for another bottom dweller. The Senegal Bichir would grow too slow and too small especially captive bred Senegalus.
I wouldn't recommend Silver Dollar's unless aquarium is 6 feet or more due to there skittish behavior.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Welcome Aboard!
I would suggest other species other than a Cichlid with the Oscar. If you could find a nice mid sized Raphael Catfish that would be my choice for another bottom dweller. The Senegal Bichir would grow too slow and too small especially captive bred Senegalus.
I wouldn't recommend Silver Dollar's unless aquarium is 6 feet or more due to there skittish behavior.

Aquarium is 125 gallon; 6 feet wide x 18 inches deep x 21 inches tall.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
I was worried about that. I remember reading somewhere that the silver dollars are "The closest thing you'll get to an aquatic lawn mower". Lol. I thought maybe it would be alright if they weren't aquatic plants. Might have to build some sort of guard to keep them out if that's the route I end up going. How many spotted silver dollars would you recommend then if the other tank mates were 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 Sailfin Pleco, and 1 Striped Raphael Catfish? Also, is there any particular reason you recommended the spotted silver dollars (Metynnis lippincottianus) over silver dollars (Metynnis argenteus)? Only thing I've found is the average size of the spotted is about 5.3" vs the normal silver dollar at 6".

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was worried about that. I remember reading somewhere that the silver dollars are "The closest thing you'll get to an aquatic lawn mower". Lol. I thought maybe it would be alright if they weren't aquatic plants. Might have to build some sort of guard to keep them out if that's the route I end up going. How many spotted silver dollars would you recommend then if the other tank mates were 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 Sailfin Pleco, and 1 Striped Raphael Catfish? Also, is there any particular reason you recommended the spotted silver dollars (Metynnis lippincottianus) over silver dollars (Metynnis argenteus)? Only thing I've found is the average size of the spotted is about 5.3" vs the normal silver dollar at 6".
A group of 5-6 would be fine. I personally like Spotted but Metynnis Argenteus would be another good choice.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Cool. Thanks for the replies! This was the stocking I was kinda originally leaning towards as it seemed to be the safest, but wanted to entertain other options as well. Any other input is welcome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store