125 Gallon Stocking Ideas

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
I agree with the above, a once per week 50% water change for adult fish like oscars in that size tank is a bit wimpy, and the buildup of nitrate with that lax schedule often leads to maladies like hole in the head scarring.
If that's all you can manage, it would probably be better to keep smaller less waste producing fish.
Anytime you have large fish like oscars, chocolate, or other cichlids the maintenance schedule that is adequate when young, often doubles as the size of the fish doubles in size, then triples etc etc.
Beside Pothos and Monstera, I use Dieffenbachia, and Umbrella palm (Aka Papyrus)
View attachment 1445561
View attachment 1445562
Papayrus below
View attachment 1445563
I had never heard of people doing more than 50% water changes at once. I thought it might stress the fish out too much, but if I can get away with doing a bigger water change once a week, that works for me. I have the aqueon water changer that attaches to the sink so like you said, it will only be a difference of minutes. I'll have to look into the dieffenbachia and umbrella palm more! Your tanks look gorgeous. I want diversity in the plants, so thank you for the suggestions. As for fish I'm thinking of going with 1 striped Raphael catfish, 1 sailfin pleco, 1 tiger oscar, and 5 spotted silver dollars.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I had never heard of people doing more than 50% water changes at once. I thought it might stress the fish out too much, but if I can get away with doing a bigger water change once a week, that works for me. I have the aqueon water changer that attaches to the sink so like you said, it will only be a difference of minutes. I'll have to look into the dieffenbachia and umbrella palm more! Your tanks look gorgeous. I want diversity in the plants, so thank you for the suggestions. As for fish I'm thinking of going with 1 striped Raphael catfish, 1 sailfin pleco, 1 tiger oscar, and 5 spotted silver dollars.
There’s absolutely no reason a large water change would affect your fish. I do 90% changes weekly on all my tanks.

the only time you might consider doing less water changes is if your tap or source water has nitrates in it. At which point you would be looking for an alternative water change schedule and a way to reduce source nitrates.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Seems like a pretty good list, posting pics is of course mandatory
Thanks everyone for the advice! I won't be getting the new fish for another 2-3 weeks and then they'll be in quarantine for another 2- 4 weeks, which will also give me time to re-scape my 125G and let the plants get established, but I'll be sure to post pics when I'm happy with it. Thanks again everybody. This was my first post on monsterfishkeepers, and I appreciate the warm welcome.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Better late than never. Here is the tank after 3 years. Stocking is 6 silver dollars, 4 geophagus sveni, 1 blue acara, 1 red spot severum, and 1 sailfin pleco. As some suspected, the roots are constantly being chewed back, funnily enough mostly by the pleco. This hasn't killed the plants but has stunted their growth. Maintaining any kind of scape has also proved difficult between the pleco and the geo's digging, but hey, it's their tank after all. Everybody is a blast to watch. I used to have 4 blue acaras but separated them due to breeding aggression. The geos and the dollars have also tried to breed a couple times but haven't been too aggressive about it. If I were to add anything, I think it would be 1 zebra pike cichlid. What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks for looking!

20230904_115444.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Your tank looks great, and there may be room for a Crenicichla zebrina.
If you do add it, you may want to also consider adding a wave maker to produce a linear current, zebrina comes from areas where current is strong.
And if you do add it, depending on its size want to double your water change schedule as it hits adulthood, they can easily hit 12" and can be a serious nitrate producer, and they can be sensitive to elevated nitrate.
Here is an example of the type waters they come from.

IMG_3417.jpeg

Or..... since you are little paranoid about the viability of the newly acquired 200+ gal, use the 200 as a heavily planted regugium/terrerium to help reduce nitrate.
As a sump, you might need only fill it to half, or 2/3 its stated volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Your tank looks great, and there may be room for a Crenicichla zebrina.
If you do add it, you may want to also consider adding a wave maker to produce a linear current, zebrina comes from areas where current is strong.
And if you do add it, depending on its size want to double your water change schedule as it hits adulthood, they can easily hit 12" and can be a serious nitrate producer, and they can be sensitive to elevated nitrate.
Here is an example of the type waters they come from.

View attachment 1540548

Or..... since you are little paranoid about the viability of the newly acquired 200+ gal, use the 200 as a heavily planted regugium/terrerium to help reduce nitrate.
As a sump, you might need only fill it to half, or 2/3 its stated volume.

Thanks for the feedback! I created a separate post to get others' opinions on resealing the 220G. They've convinced me it shouldn't be an issue, so the plan is to upgrade these guys to the 220G+75G sump. In this redo, I'm definitely going to use more emergent growth to control nitrates and figure out a way to protect the roots from the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store