125 gallon stocking ideas

ryan012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2020
Hi everyone. Hope this is the right place to post this.
I recently upgraded from my 90 to a 125 gallon (6 ft) SA/CA Cichlid tank and I wondering if I am about at my limit.
Current stock list: 1 tiger oscar, 1 jack dempsey, 1 gold severum, 4 red head geophagus, 3 electric blue acaras.
Running an Fx6 and do bi-weekly water changes.

I would love to throw in a green terror or maybe a convict.

Appreciate any insights! Thanks

tank.jpg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hi everyone. Hope this is the right place to post this.
I recently upgraded from my 90 to a 125 gallon (6 ft) SA/CA Cichlid tank and I wondering if I am about at my limit.
Current stock list: 1 tiger oscar, 1 jack dempsey, 1 gold severum, 4 red head geophagus, 3 electric blue acaras.
Running an Fx6 and do bi-weekly water changes.

I would love to throw in a green terror or maybe a convict.

Appreciate any insights! Thanks

View attachment 1539258
To be honest, you are pretty overstocked. I would personally remove some fish (specifically the geos) and just keep the Oscar, Severus and EBAs and Jack Dempsey. Most people here would agree that the Oscar can’t live long term in there with that many tank mates, with the stocking you have, I would highly recommend something around the 300 gallon range. However, if you remove the Oscar, you could easily put another fish (Perhaps some Buenos Aires tetras).

Also, welcome to the fun group!

Johnnyracer72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
I generally intentionally overstock my tanks! LET THE OVERSTOCKING POLICE LOOSE!!!

The Oscar is your sticking point. It's gonna outgrow your 125 too. But those awesome Geos can live in the 125, a long with your acara should be fine long term. Stick to South American cichlids, they don't tend to kill each other as much as central American cichlids.

Look into a group or school of Roseline sharks, lots of activity and can easily live with cichlids. I suggest 4 or 5 at a minimum for a group.

Looks good! Monitoring your water quality is more important than a certain number of fish per gallon, according to some dude on the internet. More fish WILL EQUAL dirty water fast!

Good luck! Tank looks good!!

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Both the Convict and Terror have the potential to cause massive drama the Convict in general while not as bad without breeding it would terrorise the geos and perhaps most of the current residents. The Terror on the other hand while doing all the same as the Convict would also take more issue with the EBAs and likely become the ruler of the aquarium. Myself I'd remove a few of what you have and replace with non cichlids like others suggested. Your fish still have quite a bit to grow. The Oscar and JD should be first to go. Both will quite happily eat smaller fish.

ryan012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2020
I generally intentionally overstock my tanks! LET THE OVERSTOCKING POLICE LOOSE!!!

The Oscar is your sticking point. It's gonna outgrow your 125 too. But those awesome Geos can live in the 125, a long with your acara should be fine long term. Stick to South American cichlids, they don't tend to kill each other as much as central American cichlids.

Look into a group or school of Roseline sharks, lots of activity and can easily live with cichlids. I suggest 4 or 5 at a minimum for a group.

Looks good! Monitoring your water quality is more important than a certain number of fish per gallon, according to some dude on the internet. More fish WILL EQUAL dirty water fast!

Good luck! Tank looks good!!
Thanks!!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store