12x8x8

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
If I had most of the bottom of my tank covered with plants (footprint is 24 x 14, and plants would be Java fern, Anubias, and Monte Carlo), how many nitrates would they take out? I plan on doing weekly water changes of at least %50, and I'm just wondering how much the plants would help me.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If I had most of the bottom of my tank covered with plants (footprint is 24 x 14, and plants would be Java fern, Anubias, and Monte Carlo), how many nitrates would they take out? I plan on doing weekly water changes of at least %50, and I'm just wondering how much the plants would help me.
Not massively I'd say, the best approach (by consensus) would be to add ferts weekly (which adds nitrate), and doing the 50% change to "refresh" it, then re-add the ferts. It's not quite EI dosing if you use liquid ferts, but it's the same principle of giving the plants more than they need, so that they aren't found wanting.

If you want a plant that will demolish nitrates, stick some pothos in, I use it in my Betta tank and while taking out nitrates, it doesn't inhibit other plants either; allowing the growth of MC carpet etc

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Not massively I'd say, the best approach (by consensus) would be to add ferts weekly (which adds nitrate), and doing the 50% change to "refresh" it, then re-add the ferts. It's not quite EI dosing if you use liquid ferts, but it's the same principle of giving the plants more than they need, so that they aren't found wanting.

If you want a plant that will demolish nitrates, stick some pothos in, I use it in my Betta tank and while taking out nitrates, it doesn't inhibit other plants either; allowing the growth of MC carpet etc
I'm not looking for anything to take out nitrates; I'm just wondering what those plants will do for me.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
convict360 convict360 What's your opinion on finnex 24/7? I was thinking about using one since they can grow plants in shorter tanks, recreate sunlight, and grow algae, which according to the article you linked me makes up a big part of Otos' diet.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
convict360 convict360 What's your opinion on finnex 24/7? I was thinking about using one since they can grow plants in shorter tanks, recreate sunlight, and grow algae, which according to the article you linked me makes up a big part of Otos' diet.
I haven't used the finnex, but I've heard nothing but good things; there's so many factors involved, and I'm clueless on lighting tbh, I usually go by the old watts per gallon mantra, but the closer the lights are to the substrate, it changes everything.

Hopefully some members that have tried it can advise :)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I haven't used the finnex, but I've heard nothing but good things; there's so many factors involved, and I'm clueless on lighting tbh, I usually go by the old watts per gallon mantra, but the closer the lights are to the substrate, it changes everything.

Hopefully some members that have tried it can advise :)
I have a couple on my 210, but it's too tall for them to grow plants. Along with that I have Severum.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I used a couple of kallax units drilled together to hold a 55 gallon. Pretty sure it's 14 inches front to back

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store