15 gallon shrimp jungle.

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
Hello fish folks. I'd like to start by saying thank you to this community for all the input on my posts over the last couple of months.

As some of you may have gathered. I'm researching the heck out of my next project because it's very new to me. Iv been watching MD Fish Tanks on you tube a lot and have fallen in love with the beautiful neocaridina planted tanks he sets up. I have an empty 15 gallon fluval flex. Iv settled on root tabs, ecocomplete capped with black sand. I'm going to put a spiky moss wall against the back. I'd like to get some suggestions on plant choices. The more reaserch I do the more overwhelmed I get. This is a low tech set up. I have a CO2 system that I'm not using that I might pop on the tank to get the plants established before the shrimp go in. Bit after that no additional co2.

So medium light easy begginer friendly plants. I'm trying to find an easy carpeting plant. Then some taller root feeding plants in the back. I'd like to have a lush feeling to it. Medium to Heavily planted. Large piece of malaysian drift wood from another tank going in the middle as a focus point.

Any suggestions on plants, placement of plants. Aquascaping ideas are very welcome.

The whole point of this tank is that the plants will do some of the work for me and keep my shrimp happy and breeding like bunnies.

Reactions: Midwater

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Easy carpeting plant: marsilea minuta, dwarf sagitaria, staurogyne repens, or hydrocotle japan

Midground: cryptocoryne green gecko, cryptocoryne pink flamingo, bucephalandra, anubias nana

background: wisteria, cryptocoryne spiralis or crispatula, bolbitis heudeloti, etc

Reactions: Fishman Dave

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
Nice line up. I'm going to dig into these plants. A lot of the carpeting plants you listed I hadn't heard of. Thank you!

Reactions: phreeflow

Lucifer0411

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2022
A carpeting plant out of left field is pearl weed. You can trim it into a carpet and it will change its growth habit and start extending along the substrate.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not an expert on shrimp, quite the opposite, but I had heard that shrimp and certain plants do not go together. This may be an old wives tale ? Maybe the more experienced shrimp keepers can chime in?
Sure it was in a copy of practical fishkeeping, so since I have them all from the last 20 years I will try to find where it says anything on shrimp.

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
Iv done a lot of reaserch and asked a lot of questions. I'm no expert either but from what I gathered shrimp enjoy some plants better than others. Like mosses and hornwort that they can climb through and groom. The Info iv collected has told me it's the substrate that really matters. Neocaridina prefer water on the hard side so anything with a buffering effect isn't the most suitable for them. I'm no expert on plants though. You could very well be right

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
Iv seen shrimp tanks online with all the usual suspects planted in them. Swords, Cryps, Ludwigia, hair grass, lotus, and all the floaters.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store