1500 gallon pond. What kind of filters and pumps do I need? Or should we know?

Zeeb08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2023
I’m currently building a 12’ x 8’ x 2 1/2’ pond (1500 gallons after sand and decor) I already have an aerator for the pond but I am looking for better filtration, and a better pond pump. Any suggestions? If possible suggestions that won’t break, the bank are highly appreciated. The pond is for peacock bass, arowana, catfish and tiger Oscar’s.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Hi Adrian, where you are plays a large part in the decisions, as does the pond type.
Your gallonage for that size pond is exactly 1500ukg but the time the message was posted makes me think not in the uk.
Here in the uk much of the cost of running a pond of this size can go on heating it, unless you can have it indoors in a heated room. If heating is not an issue then for catfish, bass etc then you will want reasonable turnover , somewhere towards the 12000 l/hr which can mean a pump of 100-£150. That said you need to get an eco model which runs around 100w max - any more and the cost of running it will be > £1.50 per day, which whilst it doesn’t seem much soon adds up.
If the pond is above ground then it comes down to where you have space for the filter. A koi pond box filter can be mounted above the pond or alongside the pond If there is room, and for this the bigger the better. I run a 4x2x2 koi pond box trickle filter on 1200 ukg with 12000 l/hr from an aquaEco-12000 pond pump. Filtration can of course be home made using the same principles if you have a barrel or container and some diy knowledge/ability and this way is often cheaper and can be designed how you want it. Can’t give you all the ways of doing it but at least you can see one way that works for me.

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Zeeb08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2023
I currently live in South Florida, US and it is an outdoor pond. I would like to buy a pond heater, but I’m not too worried about that just yet what I am worried about is making sure I have the correct size pond pump, and filter units. The plan for the pond is to have 4 peacock bass, 1 Arrowana, 2 catfish, and 2 tiger Oscar.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Like stated above a lot depends on your diy capabilities and overall knowledge. What's the pond construction going to be? Do you have a way to put a sump next to it, or over it, or under it? Look for a pump capable of turning it somewhere 3-7 times. You'll have to account for head pressure if you are pumping water above or from below. As for the actual filter some filter socks and biomedia will work. A little more work but worth it would be a bog filter added in.

I currently have a 300g stock tank set up. The water drains into the sump and then is returned to the pond. I have filter socks sponges and biomedia in the sump. I have marginal plants hung on the sides of the stock tank to help with nutrient export.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I keep and breed silver arowana. They are known jumpers so your pond will need a top cover.

I keep breeding pairs in squat round rainwater tanks with the top cut off at 1.3m height and water depth approx 60cm to reduce jumping. The top is covered with 40mm polystyrene sheet. Filtration is an internal trickle tower of coarse sponge sheets (100mm thick) in poultry meat transport crates (sturdy plastic trays with bottom slots that stack) and a 2500 LPH powerhead. I rotate the crates when cleaning. The top crate/sponge is blasted with garden hose once a month. The tanks have an external bottom tap for easy drainage - water changes.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
I currently live in South Florida, US and it is an outdoor pond. I would like to buy a pond heater, but I’m not too worried about that just yet what I am worried about is making sure I have the correct size pond pump, and filter units. The plan for the pond is to have 4 peacock bass, 1 Arrowana, 2 catfish, and 2 tiger Oscar.
I don’t recommend 4 peacock bass as they are pretty aggressive and may kill themselves or the other fish I would recommend 1 or maybe maybe MAYBE 2

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
They aren’t agressive? 4 may be a bit overboard and bass being bass may try to eat them and I would like a bit of insight and information why I am wrong
Those that have kept pbass know they do better in groups of three or more. The combo above is quite common in the MFK community. Overboard for a pond?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store