1700 gallon Make-over Before and After with Golden Gar

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Great stock and to echo others beautiful tank. Golden Gars are one of my favorite fish. It's so rare to see them and even rarer to see them at a large size. I've heard some grow out of the coloration, how true that is I don't know but it would explain why I barely ever see an adult Golden. Hope to see more of you and this tank in the future.
Thanks everyone for the compliments! All 4 of my Golden Gar are adults. There color changed from deep orange to light orange/yellowish in my tank. All 4 have kept their orange color. One of the 4 had an orange back and platinum belly. As it lightned up the head is orange and the rest of the Gar is snow/platinum. This is definately one of a kind!
Just for fun I have been experimenting with food and light to see if I can get the deep orange color back vs light orange. I believe the intensity of natural sunlight(think suntan for fish) has some effect on how deep the orange hue is on the fish. I am attempting to replicate natural sunlight using 2 175 watt 6500k metal halide bulbs. I am slowly amping up the duration to see if it could have an effect.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone for the compliments! All 4 of my Golden Gar are adults. There color changed from deep orange to light orange/yellowish in my tank. All 4 have kept their orange color. One of the 4 had an orange back and platinum belly. As it lightned up the head is orange and the rest of the Gar is snow/platinum. This is definately one of a kind!
Just for fun I have been experimenting with food and light to see if I can get the deep orange color back vs light orange. I believe the intensity of natural sunlight(think suntan for fish) has some effect on how deep the orange hue is on the fish. I am attempting to replicate natural sunlight using 2 175 watt 6500k metal halide bulbs. I am slowly amping up the duration to see if it could have an effect.
I'm interested to see if this has an effect. I love how my gars all look after spending the summer outside. I would love to replicate that in the aquarium.

I've been tempted to use things like reptile uv bulbs , or uv capable leds to see if that might work. Have never gotten around to it though.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
wow all the fish are bigger since i last saw them...what happend to all the reptiles and amphibians? i remember you saying that there were some chamelions and dart frogs in there too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store