180 gallon SA/CA tank

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
honestly id skip the heavy hitters if you want a community. id do an oscar, jd, carpintas, green terror, leave the convicts, and possibly a pleco or some kind of bottom feeder.

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
Man, a 180 is a great size tank. You could do a full size nasty Jag alone in that tank for life, and if you're lucky, you might even get him to tolerate a female in there with him. A pair of Jags with others -- I don't think so.

A single Jag in that tank with a few other species, if he grew up with some other fish, it MIGHT work out for life, might not--depends on the Jag. You'd just have to try it and see. All same sex would be your best bet.

Mi/Devil in that tank would fit size wise, but it could go nuts one day, too. Then it might not--you'd have to try. they're very much like a Jag in my opinion. I really think that full bred true Citrinellum, or Hoga's, or Amarillo's are a little less crazy than a Labiatus or a cross with a Labiatus. So If I tried an Amph with other fish in a 180, I'd do a Hoga, or an Amarillo.

But......if you were to maybe come off the Jag or Midevil idea, you could do some Vieja in that tank, thin them out as they grow real big, and end up with 3 maybe 4 big full size Vieja for life? That'd be MUCH more likely to work out in my opinion than a Jag or Midevil community thing. You may not like Vieja, or you just really want a Jag, I don't know. But at least consider it.

so in order of likelihood to really work out long term imho......

1. Single Wet Pet Jag, Midevil, or maybe a big Trimac--that'd work for sure.
2. 3-4 Vieja in that tank, no Jag or Amph--I think that'd be VERY likely to work long term.
3. Breeding pair of Jag's, Midevil, Trimac--you might lose the female, might not, but you'd at least end up with option 1 if you did lose the female.
4. Jag or Midevil in a community with some other big SA/CA cichlids. It COULD work, but something could very well just go psycho at 10-12 inches and you'd lose fish, or be dividing the tank up into 2-3 parts. :)

I think 3 and 4 are probably equally likely to work/not work.
Great tank pickup.so many options.can you order fish online? Then you have many more to choose from,unless your LFS has good selection or can special order.I would stay with CA, oscar is SA.sometimes as fish grow up together they can seem good,then snap at maturity or because of rivalry for female.you might be able to do an all M or F tank.salvini, red devil,Freddie,RTM.....
Any of these options will really work, like @rajin_cajun said it's a great sized tank, so you can put almost whatever species of ca in there (almost all). It all up you you mate, you can either have a big old nasty wet pet (amph, or jag), a nasty breeding pair (any of the above stated) or a community which would be the hardest to work but possibly the coolest as many users will tell you that they often get bored of having just one 'wet pet'. It's really all up to you and what you want to do with because you have lots of options. Good luck!

Fishguy679

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
I think I'm definitely going with a community mostly beacause this is my only tank, plus It would be fun to grow a bunch of fish up together.
I think I'm gona get
An oscar
A jack Dempsey
Possibly a green terror
Possibly a Texas cichlid
A salvini if my lfs has them
Some type of veija if my lfs has them which I'm almost positive it does(that fish place has a lot of different cichlids)
Some silver dollars
Some catfish
Possibly a chocolate cichlid or pearsi
And maybe if I see something cool and my lfs and it's not too aggressive I can just get it on the fly. I don't want to overstock tho But I want a heavy stock. I'm thinking a few large cichlids that are oscar sized (2 or 3) and a good amount(6 or 7) smaller mid sized cichlids would work with a catfish and dithers, would that be too much?

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Your greatest chance of cichlid community success lies further south, in South America!

6-8 geophagus
1-2 severums
1-2 chocolate cichlids
Maybe some modest size cichlids like Festivum or Keyholes would work in there too.

In that case you'd almost hope to get at least a couple pairs in the Geo community... They're so much more chill you could have multiple pairs spawning at the same time and the rest of the fish would be fine.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
Your greatest chance of cichlid community success lies further south, in South America!

6-8 geophagus
1-2 severums
1-2 chocolate cichlids
Maybe some modest size cichlids like Festivum or Keyholes would work in there too.

In that case you'd almost hope to get at least a couple pairs in the Geo community... They're so much more chill you could have multiple pairs spawning at the same time and the rest of the fish would be fine.
I think the op wants an aggressive community

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Aggressive and community don't go together.
I think the op stock list is way to much if he is looking at keeping the fish for the whole of there lives. A pair of vieja and a few thorichthys fills a 180 pretty well. A pair of Oscar's and maybe some acaras

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I agree with Dan,that tank is a ticking time bomb.
As suggested above,if you want a community of cichlids you stand more chance of harmony with south americans.
The c/a's will eventually cause trouble in most cases.

Fishguy679

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
I'd be fine with a semi aggressive community and Skiping the jag and the midas/rd if it means I can have a cichlid community. It seems those cichlids won't work in a cichlid community without a lot of risk. I still don't want to do all sa. I was thinking a jd and and possibly a Texas for ca, which are a lot less aggressive than a midas/Rd and a jag. Also maybe a salvini. Would an SA and ca tank be ok if I avoided the really aggressive ones and went for less aggressive ca's? Again, this will be my only tank for a while and I want a lot of variety.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016

6-8 geophagus
1-2 severums
1-2 chocolate cichlids

This has the highest chance of working in my opinion. You could get away with an Oscar instead of a chocolate I bet too.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store