3000 gallon predator pond help please

Redtail catfish stan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022
In gallons I guess it is somewhere around 530-550,000 gallons. I dug it myself with an excavator. I have several species. Everything from natives to cichlids, geophagus, tinfoil barbs and pacu. I would love to grow out some giant gourami.
I am by no means trying to discourage you from the red tails. Just keep in mind of your overall goal of your pond. Do you want a few large species? Or several smaller species? My bet is you may even change your tastes and stocking choices as you go. I suffer from a bad case of multiple species syndrome. Every-time I think I’m done I find some other species I want to establish.
If you plan to only see your fish from the surface I think arrowana would be really cool.
Niger ripsaw cats would go well with the giraffe cats not sure if you’ve considered those.
I haven’t considered those and by no means do I feel like your discouraging if anything your helping I want a few big species because I have a lot of land so i can dedicate quite a bit to more ponds or even bigger ponds. Thank you, also how do you filter that or heat that?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Muckfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2022
I haven’t considered those and by no means do I feel like your discouraging if anything your helping I want a few big species because I have a lot of land so i can dedicate quite a bit to more ponds or even bigger ponds. Thank you, also how do you filter that or heat that?
I guess the natural plants and algaes do most of the work. I have charra beds and algae. The veija cichlids love to eat the stuff.
I have a deep well that comes out at a fairly constant temperature. I also have large diffuser aeration but this is shut off in cold weather.My pacu made it though a low of 31f this past winter. I also have a overflow pipe I can more or less do a water change by running the well and overflowing out the pipe.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Redtail catfish stan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022
I guess the natural plants and algaes do most of the work. I have charra beds and algae. The veija cichlids love to eat the stuff.
I have a deep well that comes out at a fairly constant temperature. I also have large diffuser aeration but this is shut off in cold weather.My pacu made it though a low of 31f this past winter. I also have a overflow pipe I can more or less do a water change by running the well and overflowing out the pipe.

That’s pretty cool I’ll be running if wellwater and I’ll be incorporating a tap in the pipe to sump to be able to drain to do water changes easy. Can the big fish survive the low temps? Like 40-60?

Muckfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2022
That’s pretty cool I’ll be running if wellwater and I’ll be incorporating a tap in the pipe to sump to be able to drain to do water changes easy. Can the big fish survive the low temps? Like 40-60?
It’s really hard to find some lethal temps on most species. I know large pacu can handle some lows but will eventually die around 45.5f. Keep in mind air temperature and water temperature can vary quite a bit especially if the pond is in the ground.
I think arrowana would be the most likely to struggle and die at those temps.
There are some species that could handle your winter temps. Native bass, sunfish, gar, and channel catfish. The albino channel catfish are pretty interesting and easily can grow over 2 feet, and are more open water swimmers as they age. You also have those rio grande cichlids in Texas might be something to look into if they can be collected locally.
Hybrid striped bass may be a good alternative to peacock bass. Not as colorful but readily eat pellets and hit the surface while feeding with a punch. They also get huge. I have them in my pond and really enjoy them.

Maybe have a temporary pool type pond in the garage or a heated space and take your monster fish in for the winter??

This is a intex pool I use to start my smaller fish before sending them outside

Last edited:

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Couple of stocking choices I have kept in similar dimensions.

Wyckii
Girraffe
Rtc ( but grow big fast and over 3 ft which means moving on from stocked 10x8 really)
Vulture cat
Achara cat
TSN
Pacu
RTCxTSN cross
Asian RTC
Hemibagrus variagatus
Goonch
Limia shovelnose
Paroon shark
Hi fin shark ( 2 pengasius in 10x8 and the thing looks full especially once they pass 2 ft, hi fin never stop moving)
Black shark
Variagated labeo
Piraiba ( grow huge)
Tinfoils
Lemon barbs
Cigar shark
Koi
Pims
Feather fin syno
Giant gourami
Plecs
Clarias
Mystus Lucosis
Channel cat

Not all together I might add but over the years.

And a few yet to get to the pond
Jau,
Jelly cat,
Wallago,
Niger cat,
Gar,

The other stuff stayed in big tanks.

Redtail catfish stan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022
It’s really hard to find some lethal temps on most species. I know large pacu can handle some lows but will eventually die around 45.5f. Keep in mind air temperature and water temperature can vary quite a bit especially if the pond is in the ground.
There are some species that could handle your winter temps. Native bass, sunfish, gar, and channel catfish. The albino channel catfish are pretty interesting and easily can grow over 2 feet, and are more open water swimmers as they age. You also have those rio grande cichlids in Texas might be something to look into if they can be collected locally.
Hybrid striped bass may be a good alternative to peacock bass. Not as colorful but readily eat pellets and hit the surface while feeding with a punch. They also get huge. I have them in my pond and really enjoy them.

Maybe have a temporary pool type pond in the garage or a heated space and take your monster fish in for the winter??

Yea I was thinking about an indoor pond for some of the fish that can’t handle the lower temperature. I will look at the stripped bass Bc they sound rly cool

Reactions: Muckfish

Redtail catfish stan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022

I’m looking at large mouth bass now because stripped bass are difficult to find in my area and Ik that the large mouths can sustain low temps

Redtail catfish stan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022
Thank
Couple of stocking choices I have kept in similar dimensions.

Wyckii
Girraffe
Rtc ( but grow big fast and over 3 ft which means moving on from stocked 10x8 really)
Vulture cat
Achara cat
TSN
Pacu
RTCxTSN cross
Asian RTC
Hemibagrus variagatus
Goonch
Limia shovelnose
Paroon shark
Hi fin shark ( 2 pengasius in 10x8 and the thing looks full especially once they pass 2 ft, hi fin never stop moving)
Black shark
Variagated labeo
Piraiba ( grow huge)
Tinfoils
Lemon barbs
Cigar shark
Koi
Pims
Feather fin syno
Giant gourami
Plecs
Clarias
Mystus Lucosis
Channel cat

Not all together I might add but over the years.

And a few yet to get to the pond
Jau,
Jelly cat,
Wallago,
Niger cat,
Gar,

The other stuff stayed in big tanks.
[/Q
Thank you I’ll look at all these fish. What’s the best size pond for the rtcs

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I would not put spiny and toothy monster fish on any liner, including industry standard 45 mil EPDM rubber, if a small or slow leak can be problem.

I would advise strongly against pacu and giant gouramy on any liner with any sort of creases or folds - these will be chewed up like gum and punctured. Same for cords, air lines, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store