530 gallon pond stocking ideas.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If you can do some sort of planting with hornwort or elodea there is a good chance you could get the rosy barbs to breed in the summer. Although never kept them as low as 12 before in winter.
Also didn’t know tandanus went that low so good to know, I am assuming you must have tandanus tandanus in which case this will be a big fish potentially as large or bigger than a koi.
Both of which when larger may take your smaller rosy barbs, as would perch or bass?!

Last edited:

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
If you can do some sort of planting with hornwort or elodea there is a good chance you could get the rosy barbs to breed in the summer. Although never kept them as low as 12 before in winter.
Also didn’t know tandanus went that low so good to know.
Yeah they get further south than were i am. I will try to breed the Rosy barbs or cherry barbs in the pond

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
By the way, I forgot to mention that you're going to want at least 6 koi and at least 6 tinfoil barbs (as opposed to 1 and 3). That is generally the minimum for schooling fish, and koi are schooling fish like tinfoils.

This species is found swimming in large schools in nature and some individuals may become skittish or even aggressive if kept in insufficient numbers in the aquarium, meaning a group of six or more should be the smallest considered. You will be rewarded with a much more natural-looking display plus interesting behaviour from the fish as they interact with conspecifics.

Varieties of koi are distinguished by their coloration and scale pattern. They are social, "schooling" fish.

Make sure you have adequate filtration and do adequate water replacements for these too. In fact 6 koi may even overstock the pond (meaning you may have to let your sister know they're not an option), but I'll leave the koi experts to weigh in on that.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Re-looking at your list I think you may have to seriously rethink this. The Australian bass could reach 2ft in length and the perch each over a foot. Whilst all three are not huge, they will be massive compared to rosy barbs which will just be snack items for them. As would small tinfoils but if you can grow them on them they will fair better size wise, although not heard of them accepting quite so cold conditions. How big is your bass currently?

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Re-looking at your list I think you may have to seriously rethink this. The Australian bass could reach 2ft in length and the perch each over a foot. Whilst all three are not huge, they will be massive compared to rosy barbs which will just be snack items for them. As would small tinfoils but if you can grow them on them they will fair better size wise, although not heard of them accepting quite so cold conditions. How big is your bass currently?
The rosy barbs would be something that they could snack on, i already have a breeding group. My bass currently is about 9cm. I’m not 100% sure on the tinfoils, but a well known guy in the hobby says it has be done, so may not do it.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you want something interactive, salmon tail catfish would work. They hand feed, school well and follow you like a puppy.

You can keep tinfoil unheated through winter in Brisbane. We get very hot days and cold nights at the beginning and end of winter so water temperature fluctuates dramatically. Even cold water fish can't handle big fluctuations so drop a heater in until it's constantly cold then remove.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
If you want something interactive, salmon tail catfish would work. They hand feed, school well and follow you like a puppy.

You can keep tinfoil unheated through winter in Brisbane. We get very hot days and cold nights at the beginning and end of winter so water temperature fluctuates dramatically. Even cold water fish can't handle big fluctuations so drop a heater in until it's constantly cold then remove.
I’ll look into salmon cats, The tinfoils would probably work if you keep them in Brisbane, as water temps tend to stay similar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store